Post Office looks for ‘retail partner’ for Dagenham Heathway branch
- Credit: Archant
Customers could see their nearest Post Office transformed as bosses look for a retailer to move in to the biggest branch in the borough.
The Post Office in Heathway, Dagenham, is one of 70 “Crown” branches — those owned directly by the company — nationwide which is targeted for a retail partner, a more common service model.
Bosses have said none of the branch’s 15 staff are at risk of losing their jobs as part of the strategy and added it will not close, although some layout and design changes may occur depending on which business is chosen.
“Crown branches are a fundamental part of our long term growth strategy and need to be brought into profit,” a spokesperson for Post Office said.
“To maintain our high street presence we will be looking to find retail partners for 70 of our branches enabling us to stay in these locations.
You may also want to watch:
“Our investment will maintain the size of the network and modernise branches to meet customer needs.”
If no retail partner is found the Post Office has said the branch will remain open.
- 1 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 2 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 3 Call to change 'cash cow' yellow box junction in Marks Gate
- 4 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 5 Barking and Dagenham pubs and bars reopen for outdoor service
- 6 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 7 Jailed: ‘Extremely dangerous’ Dagenham man who plotted terrorist attack
- 8 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 9 Becontree Estate designed after Spanish Flu 'helped prevent Covid deaths'
- 10 Light festival sees cyclists brighten up Barking and Dagenham streets
If a partner is found, a six week public consultation period will begin to get feedback and views from the community before a final decision is made.
Crown branches make up just three per cent of the Post Office network, some 370 branches out of more than 11,500 across the UK.