Reports suggest Ford stamping plant in Dagenham to close
The Ford stamping plant in Dagenham and the car giant’s factory in Southampton will close, according to reports.
Around 1,000 jobs in Dagenham and another few hundred in Southampton could be lost if the plans go ahead.
Ford union members in Dagenham were due to meet Ford’s European chief, Stephen Odell, this morning.
GMB union’s national officer Justin Bowden said:
“This is devastating news for the workforce in Southampton and Dagenham. It’s also devastating news for UK manufacturing,” said the union’s national officer, Justin Bowden.
You may also want to watch:
“Ford’s track record in Britain is one of broken promises and factory closures.”
Some new posts will be created at the Dagenham engine plant, which will build Ford’s new Panther engine, reports say.
- 1 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 2 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 3 Vaisakhi observed with ceremony at Barking Town Hall
- 4 Meet the singer drawing global audiences to her Barking living room
- 5 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 6 Survey asks women where they feel unsafe in Barking and Dagenham
- 7 Street food market coming to Barking as lockdown continues to ease
- 8 Dagenham charity set up in memory of 'unique' man offers help to youngsters
- 9 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 10 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
The company declined to comment on the meeting.
See our website for updates.