Reports suggest Ford stamping plant in Dagenham to close
The Ford stamping plant in Dagenham and the car giant’s factory in Southampton will close, according to reports.
Around 1,000 jobs in Dagenham and another few hundred in Southampton could be lost if the plans go ahead.
Ford union members in Dagenham were due to meet Ford’s European chief, Stephen Odell, this morning.
GMB union’s national officer Justin Bowden said:
“This is devastating news for the workforce in Southampton and Dagenham. It’s also devastating news for UK manufacturing,” said the union’s national officer, Justin Bowden.
You may also want to watch:
“Ford’s track record in Britain is one of broken promises and factory closures.”
Some new posts will be created at the Dagenham engine plant, which will build Ford’s new Panther engine, reports say.
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Watchdog upholds 90pc of complaints against council, figures show
- 3 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 4 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 5 Dagenham author pens novel to mark centenary of Becontree Estate
- 6 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 7 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 8 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 9 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 10 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
The company declined to comment on the meeting.
See our website for updates.