Reports suggest Ford stamping plant in Dagenham to close
The Ford stamping plant in Dagenham and the car giant’s factory in Southampton will close, according to reports.
Around 1,000 jobs in Dagenham and another few hundred in Southampton could be lost if the plans go ahead.
Ford union members in Dagenham were due to meet Ford’s European chief, Stephen Odell, this morning.
GMB union’s national officer Justin Bowden said:
“This is devastating news for the workforce in Southampton and Dagenham. It’s also devastating news for UK manufacturing,” said the union’s national officer, Justin Bowden.
“Ford’s track record in Britain is one of broken promises and factory closures.”
Some new posts will be created at the Dagenham engine plant, which will build Ford’s new Panther engine, reports say.
- 1 ‘He put his life into family’: Tributes paid to former builder who died of Covid
- 2 Barking MP Margaret Hodge 'will not stand' in next general election
- 3 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 4 Barking was Britain's ninth most used station in 2020/21, figures show
- 5 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 6 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
- 7 'I am really humbled': New Bishop of Barking appointed
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 10 Google rates the top vegan and vegetarian restaurants in your borough
The company declined to comment on the meeting.
See our website for updates.