Sixty residents land jobs at Dagenham hotel and restaurant
More than 60 residents have been offered positions at a Dagenham hotel and restaurant after a recruitment drive.
The successful job seekers were among 500 who attended information sessions held at Barking Learning Centre this month for roles at Dagenham Premier Inn and Brewers Fayre.
Barking and Dagenham Council’s regeneration team worked with employer Whitbread and Jobcentre Plus as part of the recruitment process which saw 300 apply for timed assessment activities on Tuesday October 16. A shortlist was drawn up and interviews held the following day.
Unsuccessful applicants for the Dagenham site could be offered jobs in neighbouring boroughs by Whitbread as the calibre of applications was so strong.
Councillor Cameron Geddes, cabinet member for regeneration, said: “This is fantastic news that Whitbread are employing so many residents at the Dagenham Premier Inn and Brewers Fayre with possibly more in neighbouring boroughs. In this tough economic climate it’s crucial that local residents are given priority for local jobs.
“The council is committed to bringing in new businesses into the borough and working closely with all our partners to ensure local people are aware of, and take advantage of any opportunities for employment and training.”
Sessions, led by the Premier Inn and Brewers Fayre senior management team, were very well received and included salary information, shift details, job descriptions, company benefits as well as training, development and progression opportunities.
- 1 ‘He put his life into family’: Tributes paid to former builder who died of Covid
- 2 Barking was Britain's ninth most used station in 2020/21, figures show
- 3 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 4 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 5 Barking MP Margaret Hodge 'will not stand' in next general election
- 6 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
- 7 'I am really humbled': New Bishop of Barking appointed
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 10 Google rates the top vegan and vegetarian restaurants in your borough
Joe McDiarmid, General Manager for Brewers Fayre, said: “This confirms Whitbread’s ongoing commitment to take our workforce from the local community and to work in partnership with the local authority and Jobcentre Plus to achieve results and that overall we were extremely impressed with the smooth recruitment process, calibre of candidates and the venue.”