Summer coding workshops running at Barking & Dagenham College
- Credit: Archant
Tech-minded youngsters considering a career in the digital industries have the chance to learn more about coding this summer through a series of workshops.
The Summer Code Bash imitative at Barking & Dagenham College will offer insight into creating apps, building websites and game design and is open to anyone aged 11 or above.
The idea was the brainchild of former computing student Ellen Kerr, who is now passing on her knowledge to the next generation as an IT tutor at the college.
She said: “There’s a need for programmers in the UK yet it’s an industry people don’t really know about.
“It’s also not just about computers, being able to programme means you get to understand how lots of things operate, even traffic lights need programmers to make them work! I love programming.
“It’s great fun when you get into it, so we thought an introductory course over the summer holidays was a brilliant opportunity for young people to come along and find out what it’s all about.”
The first workshop will take place on Monday, July 28, with the series running each week through August between 2-5pm, at a cost of just £5 per week.
- 1 ‘He put his life into family’: Tributes paid to former builder who died of Covid
- 2 Barking was Britain's ninth most used station in 2020/21, figures show
- 3 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 4 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 5 Barking MP Margaret Hodge 'will not stand' in next general election
- 6 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
- 7 'I am really humbled': New Bishop of Barking appointed
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 10 Google rates the top vegan and vegetarian restaurants in your borough
Hosted in the college’s state-of-the-art STEM centre, each session will feature lots of interactive projects and activities, with a focus on fun while learning.
For more information email Ellen on email@example.com or call 0203 667 0276/ 07475 528 964.