Summer coding workshops running at Barking & Dagenham College
- Credit: Archant
Tech-minded youngsters considering a career in the digital industries have the chance to learn more about coding this summer through a series of workshops.
The Summer Code Bash imitative at Barking & Dagenham College will offer insight into creating apps, building websites and game design and is open to anyone aged 11 or above.
The idea was the brainchild of former computing student Ellen Kerr, who is now passing on her knowledge to the next generation as an IT tutor at the college.
She said: “There’s a need for programmers in the UK yet it’s an industry people don’t really know about.
“It’s also not just about computers, being able to programme means you get to understand how lots of things operate, even traffic lights need programmers to make them work! I love programming.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s great fun when you get into it, so we thought an introductory course over the summer holidays was a brilliant opportunity for young people to come along and find out what it’s all about.”
The first workshop will take place on Monday, July 28, with the series running each week through August between 2-5pm, at a cost of just £5 per week.
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 2 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 3 Manager celebrates 25 years working for supermarket
- 4 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 5 Clean up continues after flooding across Barking and Dagenham
- 6 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 7 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 8 Letter on teachers searching pupils for weapons
- 9 Dog attack hero and diving suit fundraiser in running for awards
- 10 Dagenham MP seeks views on CPZs after 'hundreds raise concerns'
Hosted in the college’s state-of-the-art STEM centre, each session will feature lots of interactive projects and activities, with a focus on fun while learning.
For more information email Ellen on email@example.com or call 0203 667 0276/ 07475 528 964.