Supermarket chain unveils new store in Dagenham
Daggers star Matthew Saunders received a �500 cheque from a supermarket to help promote football in the community.
Tesco bosses presented the funding to the midfielder as they unveiled their new Express store in Oxlow Lane, Dagenham, on Friday.
Dagenham & Redbridge FC is helping to run football schools at May and Baker sports club in Dagenham Road, Dagenham, and puts on “Mini Daggers” activity sessions for young players in the community.
Saunders posed for the camera with store manager Alan Chittock, Daggers mascot Digger the Dog and staff members.
He said: “I would like to thank Tesco for this generous donation. The money will be put towards the running of the Daggers in community events, such as summer soccer schools and Mini Daggers.”
You may also want to watch:
Alan added: “We are so pleased that Matthew came to open the new store and join in the celebrations with us.”
- 1 Is the Becontree estate in Barking and Dagenham really a Covid hotspot?
- 2 Tributes to 'much-loved' volunteer with a passion for Dagenham history
- 3 Padnall Lake, teachers in pandemic, hearing loss and Covid insurance
- 4 Town hall backs Dagenham freeport bid
- 5 Heritage: How greyhound enthusiast's 1960s betting coup failed
- 6 Rapid Covid-19 test site for people without symptoms open in Dagenham
- 7 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 8 Organisers seek former Mayesbrook teachers to join school reunion
- 9 Hundreds of shops found not complying with Covid rules
- 10 Man recalled to prison after persistent anti-social behaviour in Dagenham cul de sac