Thousands flock to opening of new Barking Asda
- Credit: Archant
Thousands of people queued through Barking town centre this morning as the new Asda opened to shoppers.
Customers gathered outside the supermarket from 9.15am, ready for the 10am ribbon-cut, with more than 3,800 people recorded through the doors by 1pm.
About 300 people – staff and shoppers – joined in an attempt to break the record for the most people doing an Asda “pocket tap”, although the store is awaiting final confirmation as to whether that number was enough.
As the doors eventually opened at the London Road shop, customers began swamping the aisles, taking advantage of the opening day offers.
“The atmosphere was amazing,” said store community life champion Ricky Lovell.
You may also want to watch:
“There was so many people we could only allow them in 10 at a time, because of the escalators.
“Things like the televisions we had on offer went really quickly, and the aisles were absolutely packed, but none of the customers complained.”
- 1 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 2 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 3 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 4 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 Hospital visitors urged to take Covid lateral flow tests
- 6 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 7 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 8 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 9 'Blows on the hand with a strap': The story of Barking's women jute weavers
- 10 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
Nine-year-old Harry Turner cut the red ribbon after designing the winning entry for a special bag-for-life, which is currently on sale in the store.
The opening took place five days after the closure of the Vicarage Field store.
“Asda has been in Barking for 50 years, it’s a huge milestone for us and we can’t wait to celebrate in our new store,” said store manager Chris Good, just ahead of the launch.
“The move will give us much more space in store for new things and allow us to expand on the ranges our customers love.
“It’s also allowed us to hire another 150 colleagues from the local area, whilst also bringing across the 200 we currently employ.”
Have you visited the new Asda yet? Send your thoughts and opinions to email@example.com or call 020 8477 3824.