UK’s biggest adventure golf course prepares to open in Chadwell Heath
- Credit: Archant
The UK’s biggest adventure golf course will open its doors to the public later this month complete with a whale, ship and waterfall.
The £600,000 Moby Dick course at the Cranfield Golf Centre, Chadwell Heath, will pay tribute to the Herman Melville novel.
Construction began on the 18-hole course back in February and, weather-permitting, will open for business on Saturday May 24.
Director Scott Cranfield, 47, said: “I’m really excited and can’t wait to open up to the public now, and see people enjoying it.
“It’s an old fashioned course furnished with very modern features and I think families are really going to love it.
“We’ve had the idea for a long time and always wanted to link it in with the Moby Dick story, so it’s great to it finally taking shape.”
Located opposite the Moby Dick pub in Whalebone Lane North, players will get the chance to play through a variety of surfaces, including a specially-designed sailing boat in a purpose-built lake.
- 1 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 2 Two 'child abduction' arrests after three-year-old girl reported missing
- 3 Jailed: Dagenham man pressed groin against pregnant woman on Tube train
- 4 No injuries after car and van collide in Dagenham Heathway
- 5 Dagenham man in court over Zara Aleena murder
- 6 O2 Centre climb: Entertaining with fantastic panoramic views of London
- 7 Man taken to hospital after fight reported on Heathway in Dagenham
- 8 Vigil to be held this Saturday for 'pure of heart' Zara Aleena
- 9 Jailed: Hornchurch man found with weapons in Dagenham
- 10 Man charged after staff assault at Barking Asda
The course links in to the local legend of a washed-up whale being discovered in Dagenham in 1790 and the public display of whale bones in Victorian times - now homed at Valence House.
And in keeping with the community spirit, pupils from Warren School will design a series of local history facts that will be displayed around the course.
£500,000 Moby Dick golf course to open in Chadwell Heath in 2014Family run Barking hotel celebrates 25 years of businessUK’s fastest growing sport arrives in Essex this weekend for football and golf fans alike