Video: Barking and Dagenham business rivals fight for pole position
- Credit: Archant
The business world is a competitive, fast-paced environment and those wanting to succeed around its many twists and turns have to get ahead.
So when it comes to head-to-head motor racing, the borough’s business leaders should be perfectly suited.
The inaugural Go-kart Champions of the Chamber evening saw 64 drivers from more than 40 local companies take to the track on Tuesday, June 10, battling it out to set the quickest lap time.
Organised by Barking and Dagenham’s Chamber of Commerce, the evening saw racers divided into teams of four at Barking’s Capital Karts – which claims to be the UK’s longest indoor go-karting track.
Adam French, of DT Trucks, Barking, clocked the night’s fastest lap, flying round in a time of just 76.5 seconds – a whopping 44 seconds faster than the wooden spoon winning slowest racer.
You may also want to watch:
The track, which boasts an 80-metre main straight allowing the karts to reach speeds in excess of 45mph, is based in Rippleside Commercial Estate, Barking, just off the A13/Ripple Road. It opened last November.
Post reporters Freddy Mayhew and Mark Shales flew the flag – unfortunately not chequered – for the newspaper, with times of 82.8 and 83.6 seconds respectively.
- 1 Barking butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 2 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
- 3 Stephen Port victims' delayed inquest set to begin in Barking
- 4 Parade through Barking celebrates borough's 'inspirational' youngsters
- 5 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 6 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 7 Restaurant ordered to pay £5k after 2019 fly-tipping offences
- 8 'The entire game will mourn him': Tributes to football great Jimmy Greaves
- 9 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
- 10 Revellers descend on Dagenham for We Are FSTVL
Chamber secretary Mary Clements said: “It was a great to see local businesses networking and having a fun time, in a relaxed environment. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.”
For more information about the chamber visit bdchamber.co.uk