Video: Barking and Dagenham business rivals fight for pole position
- Credit: Archant
The business world is a competitive, fast-paced environment and those wanting to succeed around its many twists and turns have to get ahead.
So when it comes to head-to-head motor racing, the borough’s business leaders should be perfectly suited.
The inaugural Go-kart Champions of the Chamber evening saw 64 drivers from more than 40 local companies take to the track on Tuesday, June 10, battling it out to set the quickest lap time.
Organised by Barking and Dagenham’s Chamber of Commerce, the evening saw racers divided into teams of four at Barking’s Capital Karts – which claims to be the UK’s longest indoor go-karting track.
Adam French, of DT Trucks, Barking, clocked the night’s fastest lap, flying round in a time of just 76.5 seconds – a whopping 44 seconds faster than the wooden spoon winning slowest racer.
You may also want to watch:
The track, which boasts an 80-metre main straight allowing the karts to reach speeds in excess of 45mph, is based in Rippleside Commercial Estate, Barking, just off the A13/Ripple Road. It opened last November.
Post reporters Freddy Mayhew and Mark Shales flew the flag – unfortunately not chequered – for the newspaper, with times of 82.8 and 83.6 seconds respectively.
- 1 Street food market coming to Barking as lockdown continues to ease
- 2 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 3 Barking and Dagenham pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 4 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 5 Rainbow lights 'signal hope' as part of Barking and Dagenham festival
- 6 Second World War bomb pulled from River Thames in Barking
- 7 Jailed: Burglar who drove on wrong side of road trying to flee police
- 8 Council reveals new debt collection service to cut need for enforcement
- 9 Barking MP receives 'disgusting' Holocaust email over Covid-19 vaccine passports
- 10 Pedestrian crossing improvements after campaign by Dagenham pupils
Chamber secretary Mary Clements said: “It was a great to see local businesses networking and having a fun time, in a relaxed environment. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.”
For more information about the chamber visit bdchamber.co.uk