Video: Barking and Dagenham business rivals fight for pole position
- Credit: Archant
The business world is a competitive, fast-paced environment and those wanting to succeed around its many twists and turns have to get ahead.
So when it comes to head-to-head motor racing, the borough’s business leaders should be perfectly suited.
The inaugural Go-kart Champions of the Chamber evening saw 64 drivers from more than 40 local companies take to the track on Tuesday, June 10, battling it out to set the quickest lap time.
Organised by Barking and Dagenham’s Chamber of Commerce, the evening saw racers divided into teams of four at Barking’s Capital Karts – which claims to be the UK’s longest indoor go-karting track.
Adam French, of DT Trucks, Barking, clocked the night’s fastest lap, flying round in a time of just 76.5 seconds – a whopping 44 seconds faster than the wooden spoon winning slowest racer.
The track, which boasts an 80-metre main straight allowing the karts to reach speeds in excess of 45mph, is based in Rippleside Commercial Estate, Barking, just off the A13/Ripple Road. It opened last November.
Post reporters Freddy Mayhew and Mark Shales flew the flag – unfortunately not chequered – for the newspaper, with times of 82.8 and 83.6 seconds respectively.
- 1 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 2 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 3 Historic fleet of vehicles moving from Dagenham, Ford confirms
- 4 Car park murder: Victim's wife tells trial about the last text he sent her
- 5 Revealed: Cause of Dagenham house fire
- 6 Man run over four times embroiled in row over £40,000, murder trial told
- 7 Ex-soldier launches business to help veterans 'regain their identity'
- 8 Five arrested for drugs offences after dawn raids
- 9 Man in hospital after Dagenham stabbing
- 10 Car park murder: 'Distressing' CCTV shows victim being run over four times
Chamber secretary Mary Clements said: “It was a great to see local businesses networking and having a fun time, in a relaxed environment. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.”
For more information about the chamber visit bdchamber.co.uk