WH Smith to leave Barking shopping centre
- Credit: Archant
A Barking shopping centre is set to lose its WHSmith store this autumn.
The stationary retail chain will close its shop in Vicarage Field in September, becoming the second big company to exit the mall after Asda’s move across town.
A spokeswoman from WHSmith said: “We can confirm that the WHSmith store in Barking will be closing in September.
“Unfortunately, we are unable to continue to trade viably from this location and the decision has been taken to close the store at this time because of the forthcoming lease expiry.”
The store will close at midday on Wednesday, September 9, but the chain’s other base in Barking Station will remain open, the Post understands.
President of the Barking and Dagenham Chamber of Commerce Mark Bass said: “It’s always a shame to see a major retailer pull out of the area.
“We’re always trying to attract more of them to the town centre.
- 1 Young mother died after flying to Turkey for gastric bypass surgery, inquest hears
- 2 Dagenham cafe fined almost £2k following waste disposal dispute
- 3 Family of woman who died after surgery in Turkey 'to pursue legal action' in search for truth
- 4 Historic fleet of vehicles moving from Dagenham, Ford confirms
- 5 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 6 Community comes together in photo shoot for new film studio
- 7 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 8 Dagenham woman first UK patient to receive bionic eye implant
- 9 More headliners announced for We Are FSTVL 2022
- 10 Parents to appear in court next month over death of baby boy
“Hopefully they’ll be exciting developments to promote the shopping centre and someone else will come in to the area.”
Readers have also been having their say on social media.
Commenting on another story, Stephen Pudney wrote how he feels the town centre’s parking charges are behind the move.
He said: “Even WHSmith is pulling out of Barking because if you stop to buy just a newspaper the parking will cost 90p.”
Asda will close its Vicarage Field store in September and relocate to North Street.