WH Smith to leave Barking shopping centre
- Credit: Archant
A Barking shopping centre is set to lose its WHSmith store this autumn.
The stationary retail chain will close its shop in Vicarage Field in September, becoming the second big company to exit the mall after Asda’s move across town.
A spokeswoman from WHSmith said: “We can confirm that the WHSmith store in Barking will be closing in September.
“Unfortunately, we are unable to continue to trade viably from this location and the decision has been taken to close the store at this time because of the forthcoming lease expiry.”
The store will close at midday on Wednesday, September 9, but the chain’s other base in Barking Station will remain open, the Post understands.
You may also want to watch:
President of the Barking and Dagenham Chamber of Commerce Mark Bass said: “It’s always a shame to see a major retailer pull out of the area.
“We’re always trying to attract more of them to the town centre.
- 1 Teenage girl raped by Dagenham man who locked her in his car
- 2 Covid 'past the peak' at Queen's and King George hospitals
- 3 Jo Richardson pupils offered 'hug in a mug' in lockdown
- 4 Stephen Port: Victims' inquests delayed until autumn by Covid
- 5 Unions provide stationery packs to Barking, Dagenham and Havering children
- 6 Views sought on next stage of Gascoigne Estate's redevelopment
- 7 Tot with cancer enjoys 'brilliant' fun day outside home in Dagenham
- 8 Tributes to 'much-loved' volunteer with a passion for Dagenham history
- 9 Charity's 10 years of teaching safe travel to vulnerable young people
- 10 Is the Becontree estate in Barking and Dagenham really a Covid hotspot?
“Hopefully they’ll be exciting developments to promote the shopping centre and someone else will come in to the area.”
Readers have also been having their say on social media.
Commenting on another story, Stephen Pudney wrote how he feels the town centre’s parking charges are behind the move.
He said: “Even WHSmith is pulling out of Barking because if you stop to buy just a newspaper the parking will cost 90p.”
Asda will close its Vicarage Field store in September and relocate to North Street.