World record attempt set for Barking Asda launch
- Credit: Archant
Staff and customers at Barking’s newest supermarket will attempt to get into the world record books tomorrow morning when the store opens.
Queuing shoppers at Asda, in London Road, will be invited to join workers in trying to break the record for the most people doing an Asda “pocket tap”, before it opens at 10am.
Nine-year-old competition winner Harry Turner will cut the red ribbon, while his specially-designed bag for life will be on sale in store.
“We’ve brought back the pocket tap and thought it would be a great way to launch our new store,” said new store manager Chris Good.
“Asda has been in Barking for 50 years, it’s a huge milestone for us and we can’t wait to celebrate in our new store.
You may also want to watch:
“The move will give us much more space in store for new things and allow us to expand on the ranges our customers love.
“It’s also allowed us to hire another 150 colleagues from the local area, whilst also bringing across the 200 we currently employ.”
- 1 Street food market coming to Barking as lockdown continues to ease
- 2 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 3 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 4 Barking and Dagenham pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 5 Second World War bomb pulled from River Thames in Barking
- 6 Council reveals new debt collection service to cut need for enforcement
- 7 Rainbow lights 'signal hope' as part of Barking and Dagenham festival
- 8 Jailed: Burglar who drove on wrong side of road trying to flee police
- 9 Pedestrian crossing improvements after campaign by Dagenham pupils
- 10 Barking MP receives 'disgusting' Holocaust email over Covid-19 vaccine passports
The old store, located in the Vicarage Fields Shopping Centre closed on Saturday.
Are you going to the opening? Smile for our photographer and you could be in next week’s paper.