World record attempt set for Barking Asda launch
- Credit: Archant
Staff and customers at Barking’s newest supermarket will attempt to get into the world record books tomorrow morning when the store opens.
Queuing shoppers at Asda, in London Road, will be invited to join workers in trying to break the record for the most people doing an Asda “pocket tap”, before it opens at 10am.
Nine-year-old competition winner Harry Turner will cut the red ribbon, while his specially-designed bag for life will be on sale in store.
“We’ve brought back the pocket tap and thought it would be a great way to launch our new store,” said new store manager Chris Good.
“Asda has been in Barking for 50 years, it’s a huge milestone for us and we can’t wait to celebrate in our new store.
You may also want to watch:
“The move will give us much more space in store for new things and allow us to expand on the ranges our customers love.
“It’s also allowed us to hire another 150 colleagues from the local area, whilst also bringing across the 200 we currently employ.”
- 1 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 2 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 3 New community food club set to open in Barking and Dagenham
- 4 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 5 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
- 6 Chadwell Heath station assault witness appeal
- 7 The tea room in a country park 'building a community' in Dagenham
- 8 Dagenham boss McMahon 'can't wait' for test against big spenders Wrexham
- 9 Barking and Dagenham, Newham named priority areas by Arts Council
- 10 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
The old store, located in the Vicarage Fields Shopping Centre closed on Saturday.
Are you going to the opening? Smile for our photographer and you could be in next week’s paper.