Youngsters flock to Barking careers day
- Credit: Archant
More than 150 young people gained a valuable insight into possible career pathways at an inaugural careers event.
Former careers adviser Ros Alexander, 54, launched Barking-based UKON Careers in September 2013, and hosted her company’s first event on Monday at the Ripple Centre.
Featuring a motivational speaker, a poet and representatives from the likes of Barking and Dagenham College, UCAS and the Met, youngsters and their parents caught a glimpse of the options open to them.
“It was such an awesome day,” said Ros, who was joined by Mayor of Barking and Dagenham Cllr Elizabeth Kangethe and a host of young local graduates.
“It was the young people making it happen, sharing their skills and experience with others.
“It’s amazing that we can do something like this in Barking and Dagenham, and next year it will be even bigger and better.”
For more information visit ukoncareers.com
- 1 ‘He put his life into family’: Tributes paid to former builder who died of Covid
- 2 Barking was Britain's ninth most used station in 2020/21, figures show
- 3 Barking MP Margaret Hodge 'will not stand' in next general election
- 4 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 5 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 6 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
- 7 'I am really humbled': New Bishop of Barking appointed
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 10 Google rates the top vegan and vegetarian restaurants in your borough