By George it’s a fine victory!
Newham s George Venness had a fine win at the Junior ABA quarter-finals at Seawick Holiday Park, St Osyth, on Sunday. He overcame awkward rival Dave Newth (Southend), landing the more effective shots on his way to a good points victory. Newham BC clubmat
Newham's George Venness had a fine win at the Junior ABA quarter-finals at Seawick Holiday Park, St Osyth, on Sunday.
He overcame awkward rival Dave Newth (Southend), landing the more effective shots on his way to a good points victory.
Newham BC clubmate John Coyle swept aside the challenge of outgunned Steven Palmer (Aylesham) inside the first minute, triggering a barrage of blows that forced the referee to step in.
George Moughton was another good winner in Newham colours, giving rival Dan Gunn (Harwich) a standing count on his way to a points success.
You may also want to watch:
West Ham entry Chris Smith won on points against Paul Whall (Triple A), a strong rival who attacked throughout. Smith boxed well on his back foot, using his jab to great effect to take the points verdict and gain his place in the semi-final alongside clubmate Charlie Hoy, who received a walkover.
However, clubmate Joe Catchpole lost on points to Nathan Dale (Ferry Street). Catchpole took control after a slow start, and the points were in the balance at the end, but Dale took the majority verdict.
- 1 Woman brightens up Barking and Dagenham with colourful crochet creations
- 2 'Strong, united community' hailed as plans for hotel in Barking withdrawn
- 3 Appeal for help as girl, 17, reported missing from Dagenham
- 4 Bobby Moore's daughter visits Upney buildings to be named after footballers
- 5 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 6 Exhibition launches to celebrate 100 years of Becontree Estate
- 7 Walk-in Covid-19 jab events for all adults to be held in Barking
- 8 Woman organises do after Covid-19 restrictions force school in Dagenham to cancel prom
- 9 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 10 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
The winners now move forward to face their next tests this weekend when the Southern Area semi-finals will be staged at two venues. On Saturday at Earlsfield Boxing Club gym at Garratt Lane, SW18 4DW. Boxing starts at 1pm.
Then, a day later at: Hayes Working Men's Club, Hayes, UB3 3NB, where boxing starts at 2pm.
The winners then travel to face the northern area champions at the national finals in Liverpool two weeks later.