By George it’s a fine victory!
Newham s George Venness had a fine win at the Junior ABA quarter-finals at Seawick Holiday Park, St Osyth, on Sunday. He overcame awkward rival Dave Newth (Southend), landing the more effective shots on his way to a good points victory. Newham BC clubmat
Newham's George Venness had a fine win at the Junior ABA quarter-finals at Seawick Holiday Park, St Osyth, on Sunday.
He overcame awkward rival Dave Newth (Southend), landing the more effective shots on his way to a good points victory.
Newham BC clubmate John Coyle swept aside the challenge of outgunned Steven Palmer (Aylesham) inside the first minute, triggering a barrage of blows that forced the referee to step in.
George Moughton was another good winner in Newham colours, giving rival Dan Gunn (Harwich) a standing count on his way to a points success.
West Ham entry Chris Smith won on points against Paul Whall (Triple A), a strong rival who attacked throughout. Smith boxed well on his back foot, using his jab to great effect to take the points verdict and gain his place in the semi-final alongside clubmate Charlie Hoy, who received a walkover.
However, clubmate Joe Catchpole lost on points to Nathan Dale (Ferry Street). Catchpole took control after a slow start, and the points were in the balance at the end, but Dale took the majority verdict.
- 1 Man hospitalised after being found in Mayesbrook Park
- 2 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 3 Car park murder: Witness describes moment John Avers was run over
- 4 Car park murder: Victim's wife tells trial about the last text he sent her
- 5 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 6 Car park murder: 'Distressing' CCTV shows victim being run over four times
- 7 Man run over four times embroiled in row over £40,000, murder trial told
- 8 Revealed: Cause of Dagenham house fire
- 9 Historic fleet of vehicles moving from Dagenham, Ford confirms
- 10 Barking and Dagenham set for 250 new electric vehicle charging points
The winners now move forward to face their next tests this weekend when the Southern Area semi-finals will be staged at two venues. On Saturday at Earlsfield Boxing Club gym at Garratt Lane, SW18 4DW. Boxing starts at 1pm.
Then, a day later at: Hayes Working Men's Club, Hayes, UB3 3NB, where boxing starts at 2pm.
The winners then travel to face the northern area champions at the national finals in Liverpool two weeks later.