By George - that was tough
NEWHAM S George Venness came through a tough test in the National CYP Boys Club quarter-final at Aldershot on Saturday, when he subdued tough Berry Boys rival Kane Steff in their 54kg encounter. Venness highlighted the club s win-double success at the qua
NEWHAM'S George Venness came through a tough test in the National CYP Boys Club quarter-final at Aldershot on Saturday, when he subdued tough Berry Boys rival Kane Steff in their 54kg encounter.
Venness highlighted the club's win-double success at the quarter-finals, but had to battle all the way against a strong and willing rival.
The Newham boxer's ability saw him clinch a semi-final chance by an 18-7 margin on the judges' scorecards.
There was also a good win for Newham clubmate Liam Desmond, when he overcame previously undefeated Andrew Wastell (Guildford City) in their Class B 50kg encounter.
Desmond made his shots count to subdue a talented rival and finished a clear 10-1 winner on the judges' scorecards to go forward to the semi-finals.
The third Newham boxer in action, John Coyle, looked set for success in his Class A 66kg encounter with young England choice Eli Matthews as he confidently moved into 3-2 lead.
- 1 Young mother died after flying to Turkey for gastric bypass surgery, inquest hears
- 2 Dagenham cafe fined almost £2k following waste disposal dispute
- 3 Family of woman who died after surgery in Turkey 'to pursue legal action' in search for truth
- 4 Historic fleet of vehicles moving from Dagenham, Ford confirms
- 5 Community comes together in photo shoot for new film studio
- 6 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 7 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 8 Dagenham woman first UK patient to receive bionic eye implant
- 9 More headliners announced for We Are FSTVL 2022
- 10 Parents to appear in court next month over death of baby boy
However, the Guildford youngster turned the tables with an all-out finish to race into a winning 7-3 decision on the judges' scorecards.