By George - that was tough
NEWHAM S George Venness came through a tough test in the National CYP Boys Club quarter-final at Aldershot on Saturday, when he subdued tough Berry Boys rival Kane Steff in their 54kg encounter. Venness highlighted the club s win-double success at the qua
NEWHAM'S George Venness came through a tough test in the National CYP Boys Club quarter-final at Aldershot on Saturday, when he subdued tough Berry Boys rival Kane Steff in their 54kg encounter.
Venness highlighted the club's win-double success at the quarter-finals, but had to battle all the way against a strong and willing rival.
The Newham boxer's ability saw him clinch a semi-final chance by an 18-7 margin on the judges' scorecards.
There was also a good win for Newham clubmate Liam Desmond, when he overcame previously undefeated Andrew Wastell (Guildford City) in their Class B 50kg encounter.
You may also want to watch:
Desmond made his shots count to subdue a talented rival and finished a clear 10-1 winner on the judges' scorecards to go forward to the semi-finals.
The third Newham boxer in action, John Coyle, looked set for success in his Class A 66kg encounter with young England choice Eli Matthews as he confidently moved into 3-2 lead.
- 1 Police patrols increase at Dagenham Tube stations
- 2 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 3 Barking Riverside homeowners urge developer to cover cost of decking replacements
- 4 Patrols target antisocial behaviour in Barking town centre
- 5 Mum of girl with rare genetic condition vows to keep raising awareness
- 6 What is changing when Covid lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 7 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 8 Man shot in the face in Dagenham
- 9 London elections 2021: City and East candidates make case for your vote
- 10 Doctors 'concerned' patients' health will suffer due to non-Covid backlog
However, the Guildford youngster turned the tables with an all-out finish to race into a winning 7-3 decision on the judges' scorecards.