Search

Campaign to save A&E goes on

PUBLISHED: 11:37 22 January 2008 | UPDATED: 14:09 02 July 2010

MEMBERS of Parliament have sounded notes of caution after health chiefs apparently shelved plans to close a hospital accident and emergency department. Redbridge Primary Care Trust (PCT) announced last week that it is dropping its controversial Fit for th

MEMBERS of Parliament have sounded notes of caution after health chiefs apparently shelved plans to close a hospital accident and emergency department.

Redbridge Primary Care Trust (PCT) announced last week that it is dropping its controversial Fit for the Future (FFF) programme.

The plans contained different options for the future of health services, including the favoured choice which involved closing A&E at King George Hospital in Goodmayes.

This would have meant thousands of Barking residents facing a longer journey to Queen's Hospital, Romford.

But a statement released by the PCT last Tuesday said that FFF had been dropped and "none of the options proposed in it will be reconsidered".

Instead health bosses will follow the recommendations of a study by Professor George Alberti called Healthcare for London.

Jon Cruddas, Dagenham MP, said: "It's not the end of the story at all. Given the wording on the press release it still leaves it very much up in the air."

SEE TOMORROW'S POST FOR FULL STORY


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post