Candle causes Dagenham church fire

Firefighters spent two hours battling the fire

Firefighters spent two hours battling the fire - Credit: sub

A fire which damaged a Dagenham church is believed to have been started by a candle.

Firefighters were called to Church Elm Lane at 10.12am on Sunday.

Eight people evacuated the building before the fire brigade arrived.

Nobody was injured, but around a third of the first floor and part of the second floor was damaged by the blaze.

A London Fire Brigade spokesman said: “This fire shows how important it is to have a smoke alarm and to test it regularly.

Smoke alarms provide vital early warning and extra time to escape if there is a fire.

“It’s also very important to put candles out when you leave the room and that they are placed in a suitable fire resistant candleholder.”

Most Read

Six fire engines and 35 firefighters from Barking, Dagenham, East Ham and Wennington stations attended the fire, which was under control by 12.23pm.

Read more:

Barking fire probe after family suffers smoke inhalation

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter