Cash boost for Dagenham's judo girl
THE BOROUGH S sporting charity has thrown its weight behind a young judo star of the future. Living the Dream has awarded a grant of �467 to Kelly Staddon to help towards the cost of an international tournament and training camp in Holland. The Dagenh
THE BOROUGH'S sporting charity has thrown its weight behind a young judo star of the future.
'Living the Dream' has awarded a grant of �467 to Kelly Staddon to help towards the cost of an international tournament and training camp in Holland.
The Dagenham 14-year-old is currently a member of the England team, and rated number two in the country.
She belongs to Ford Judo Club, which is currently homeless after West Ham United bought its previous home in Rush Green Road.
You may also want to watch:
'Living the Dream' chairman Jeremy West presented the cheque to Kelly last week at the club's temporary base at Gallows Corner, Romford.
Mum Karen said: "It will really come in handy because she doesn't just do one foreign trip a year, but eight or nine."
- 1 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 3 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 4 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 5 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 6 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 7 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 8 Chadwell Heath death: Barking man charged with murder of Maria Rawlings
- 9 Dagenham held to a draw at Stockport as they continue unbeaten run
- 10 Police patrols increase at Dagenham Tube stations
Kelly, a pupil at Brittons School in Rainham, started judo at the age of four. She is a former England number one and is hoping to regain the title this year.
'Living the Dream' is a partnership between businesses, voluntary groups and the council, and aims to help young athletes from Barking and Dagenham with the heavy financial burden of competing in international sports.