Cash boost for Dagenham's judo girl
THE BOROUGH S sporting charity has thrown its weight behind a young judo star of the future. Living the Dream has awarded a grant of �467 to Kelly Staddon to help towards the cost of an international tournament and training camp in Holland. The Dagenh
THE BOROUGH'S sporting charity has thrown its weight behind a young judo star of the future.
'Living the Dream' has awarded a grant of �467 to Kelly Staddon to help towards the cost of an international tournament and training camp in Holland.
The Dagenham 14-year-old is currently a member of the England team, and rated number two in the country.
She belongs to Ford Judo Club, which is currently homeless after West Ham United bought its previous home in Rush Green Road.
You may also want to watch:
'Living the Dream' chairman Jeremy West presented the cheque to Kelly last week at the club's temporary base at Gallows Corner, Romford.
Mum Karen said: "It will really come in handy because she doesn't just do one foreign trip a year, but eight or nine."
- 1 Barking butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 2 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
- 3 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 4 Restaurant ordered to pay £5k after 2019 fly-tipping offences
- 5 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 6 'The entire game will mourn him': Tributes to football great Jimmy Greaves
- 7 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 8 Parade through Barking celebrates borough's 'inspirational' youngsters
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
Kelly, a pupil at Brittons School in Rainham, started judo at the age of four. She is a former England number one and is hoping to regain the title this year.
'Living the Dream' is a partnership between businesses, voluntary groups and the council, and aims to help young athletes from Barking and Dagenham with the heavy financial burden of competing in international sports.