Cashpoint thieves caught
A STING operation to catch a gang of bank machine fraudsters has landed three in jail. Romanian nationals Costica Baluta, 28, Costica Bajor, 37, and Ghiorghita Dumitru, 24, were each jailed for two years by Snaresbrook Crown Court last week after being fo
A STING operation to catch a gang of bank machine fraudsters has landed three in jail.
Romanian nationals Costica Baluta, 28, Costica Bajor, 37, and Ghiorghita Dumitru, 24, were each jailed for two years by Snaresbrook Crown Court last week after being found guilty of fraud.
Baluta will serve an extra six months after he was caught with a knife at the scene.
The fraudsters used what is known as a "Lebanese loop", a device they attached to the bank machine that retained customers cards and filmed them typing in their PIN numbers.
After complaints from families about illegal activities at the Barclays ATM in Faircross Parade, Barking, Sgt Andrew Larkin of the Longbridge safer neighbourhood team (SNT) set up the stakeout.
Along with Sgt Brian Fry and PC James Garrett from the borough's safer transport team (STT) and Eastbury SNT, the officers watched the area.
- 1 Company fined in court over builder's skips in Dagenham and Chadwell Heath
- 2 Ilford man has van crushed, given curfew for Barking and Dagenham fly-tips
- 3 Tossed cigarette in Chadwell Heath costs Beckton man almost £400
- 4 Dagenham man fined within hours of fly-tipping at bus stop
- 5 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 6 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 7 Dagenham man jailed for 12 years for punching to death Marius Lakavicius
- 8 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 9 Dagenham and West Ham accused in court after drugs raids
- 10 Covid: Weekly admissions halve as patient counts drop to July 2021 levels
Sgt Larkin said: "We had noticed that a number of offences had been occurring at this branch and we are pleased that this team has been put out of action for the foreseeable future.
"I would remind bank machine users to be vigilant.