Celebrate 75th anniversary of VE Day at home
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
How will you be marking the 75th anniversary of VE Day?
May 8 1945 was the day years of carnage and destruction came to an end and millions of people took to the streets and pubs to celebrate peace, mourn their loved ones and to hope for the future. The war in Europe was over.
The bank holiday weekend of May 8 to 10 this year was to have been a very special weekend with parties up and down the country.
Of course, plans have had to change. But there are still ways the country can mark the day the Second World War in Europe ended.
People are encouraged to join the Nation’s Toast to the Heroes of WW2 at 3pm on Friday, May 8 in their homes by standing up and raising a glass of refreshment of their choice and undertake the following toast – “To those who gave so much, we thank you.”
You may also want to watch:
Are you having a party at home?
It’s important that during this time of lockdown we remember this momentous part of our country’s history.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 2 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 3 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 'Woke rubbish': Losing candidate on stir over 'unspellable' names comment
- 6 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 7 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 8 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 9 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 10 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
Send us your photos or videos of you taking part in the toast or any VE celebration and we’ll publish them.