Man, 19, charged after cross torn off Chadwell Heath Baptist Church
- Credit: Archant
A man has been charged after a cross was torn off the roof of a church in Chadwell Heath.
Yussef Alwali, 19, from Basildon is due to appear in custody at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court today (Tuesday, October 20) charged with religiously aggravated criminal damage.
A cross was ripped off the roof of Chadwell Heath Baptist Church in High Road at about 2.40pm on Sunday, October 18.
The church issued a statement on Monday, October 19, saying: “We are distressed following the events of yesterday.
“The person seen was not part of our church. We are thankful no one was hurt and do not want this to affect our ministry.
You may also want to watch:
“We continue to pray for everyone in Chadwell Heath and will do our best to serve the community now and in the future.”
Mr Alwali was arrested in High Road, Chadwell Heath, on Sunday on suspicion of criminal damage.
- 1 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 2 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 3 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 4 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 5 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 6 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 7 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 8 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 9 Former child refugee who founded Barking women's service up for award
- 10 Parkrun returns to east London: Where can you join in?
The cross has been recovered.