Charles is mayor again
THE NEW mayor of Barking and Dagenham council was inaugurated for the second time in 25 years at an emotional ceremony. Cllr Charles Fairbrass led the council for 11 years and was first elected as a councillor almost 40 years ago. His Labour Party colleag
THE NEW mayor of Barking and Dagenham council was inaugurated for the second time in 25 years at an emotional ceremony.
Cllr Charles Fairbrass led the council for 11 years and was first elected as a councillor almost 40 years ago.
His Labour Party colleagues could not let go of him so easily when he announced his retirement, so they nominated him to become mayor. Cllr Fairbrass said: "I was really flattered."
He succeeded Cllr Emanual Obasohan after the mayor-making ceremony at Barking Town Hall and a civic service and inauguration at St Margaret's Church, Barking, a few days later.
You may also want to watch:
Some two hundred people congregated at the church, including members of the Royal British Legion and scout groups, councillors and council officers, and a band played Cllr Fairbrass' favourite songs and anthems, from Jerusalem to Standing up for Jesus.
He said: "It all went very well. My great grandchildren and the whole family were there. I felt nostalgic because I was made mayor 25 years ago."
- 1 Council warns residents after reports of rogue traders in Dagenham
- 2 Barking sign former Leyton Orient duo Elliott Omozusi and Charlie MacDonald
- 3 Queen's Birthday Honours: Badminton club founder gets BEM
- 4 Fairlop woman ordered to pay £1k over Dagenham cigarette littering
- 5 Man in drink driving arrest as overturned car on A13 causes queues
- 6 Barking man arrested after three men injured in Southend
- 7 Police officer guilty of spying on woman in the shower
- 8 Family endures 'horrific leaks' at Dagenham block of flats
- 9 London Assembly member seeks Met assurances over Euro 2020 'disorder'
- 10 Barking and Dagenham district girls fall short in final against Woking
The new mayor said he already has a long list of social and charitable duties.
He said: "One of the first things I'm going to do is to organise a visit for kids from William Ford School.