Charles is mayor again
THE NEW mayor of Barking and Dagenham council was inaugurated for the second time in 25 years at an emotional ceremony. Cllr Charles Fairbrass led the council for 11 years and was first elected as a councillor almost 40 years ago. His Labour Party colleag
THE NEW mayor of Barking and Dagenham council was inaugurated for the second time in 25 years at an emotional ceremony.
Cllr Charles Fairbrass led the council for 11 years and was first elected as a councillor almost 40 years ago.
His Labour Party colleagues could not let go of him so easily when he announced his retirement, so they nominated him to become mayor. Cllr Fairbrass said: "I was really flattered."
He succeeded Cllr Emanual Obasohan after the mayor-making ceremony at Barking Town Hall and a civic service and inauguration at St Margaret's Church, Barking, a few days later.
You may also want to watch:
Some two hundred people congregated at the church, including members of the Royal British Legion and scout groups, councillors and council officers, and a band played Cllr Fairbrass' favourite songs and anthems, from Jerusalem to Standing up for Jesus.
He said: "It all went very well. My great grandchildren and the whole family were there. I felt nostalgic because I was made mayor 25 years ago."
- 1 380 homes and commercial space set to be built at Dagenham Dock
- 2 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 3 Ops planned as Barking and Dagenham marks London Trading Standards Week
- 4 Jailed: Man who crashed stolen van then headbutted police officer
- 5 Barking and Dagenham MPs react after 'horrific' stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 6 Dagenham pop-up shop sees young people sell their products and share skills
- 7 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 8 Chain of 10,000 teddies to be displayed in memory of toddler Ava
- 9 Darren Rodwell: 'I attended Tory conference to lobby for underground A13'
- 10 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
The new mayor said he already has a long list of social and charitable duties.
He said: "One of the first things I'm going to do is to organise a visit for kids from William Ford School.