Search

Child rapist warned he faces long term

PUBLISHED: 18:02 11 June 2008 | UPDATED: 09:44 11 August 2010

A SEX attacker who raped a six-year-old girl and a teenager in a seven-year campaign of abuse is facing a jail term of double figures. Christopher Wood, 39, was found guilty of preying on the two schoolgirls in Dagenham between January, 2000 and and Oc

A SEX attacker who raped a six-year-old girl and a teenager in a seven-year campaign of abuse is facing a jail term of 'double figures.'

Christopher Wood, 39, was found guilty of preying on the two schoolgirls in Dagenham between January, 2000 and and October, last year.

The sex beast pounced on his youngest victim first, moving onto the second when she was still in her early teens.

Following a trial at Snaresbrook Crown Court, Wood, of Rush Green, was found guilty of one rape of the younger victim in 2000, and two subsequent rapes of the older girl.

He admitted having sex with the eldest, but claimed she consented.

Jurors were unable to reach verdicts in relation to two other girls he was said to have attacked in the 1990s, and early last year.

The trial heard how Wood burst into the bedroom of the girl on October 28, last year, after she had taken a shower.

Prosecutor Simon Wild said: "She was wearing just a towel.

"He went into the bedroom and did these things without saying anything.

"As he was doing it, she was trying to pull the towel back over herself."

The youngster, now aged 16, later told police that he performed a number of depraved sex acts on her in August, 2004.

A third victim, aged 14, claimed Wood molested her between late 2006 and early last year, putting his hand down her trousers as she sat on the settee.

Wood was interviewed by police in November last year and confessed to having sex with his second victim.

"He admitted having sexual intercourse with her on October 28, 2007, in the circumstances she alleges, except he says she consented" said Mr Wild.

Judge Martin Zeidman QC, remanded Wood in custody and adjourned sentencing until July 11, for reports to be prepared. He also warned him that his jail sentence could reach 'double figures.'

Wood, of Thorntons Farm Avenue, Rush Green, was found guilty of three counts of rape. He admitted one count of sexual activity with a child.

Jurors were unable to reach verdicts on a further count of rape in relation to the older victim.

They were further unable to return a verdict on a sexual activity count, and an indecent assault charge relating to the third and fourth victims.

Judge Zeidman ordered the undecided counts to lie on file.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post