Search

Children wake to alert family to burning candle fire in Dagenham

PUBLISHED: 10:06 08 July 2013 | UPDATED: 10:06 08 July 2013

sub

Candles left burning in a bathroom could have spelled disaster for a sleeping family after a blaze destroyed their bath.

Despite not having a working smoke alarm the family were able to make their escape after two children woke up and alerted the rest of the house to the fire at the flat in Longbridge Road, Barking.

Three adults and two children suffered slight smoke inhalation and were treated by emergency services who were called to the scene at around 4.30am on Thursday, July 4.

Barking Fire Station watch manager Shane Cook said: “The family were very lucky the children woke up and alerted their parents. It is essential that everyone has at least one working smoke alarm in their home.

“Candles are popular in the bathroom, but if they’re not placed on a heat proof surface, they can melt through your bath or toilet. This is especially important with tea lights, which get very hot on the bottom.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post