Chill out - it's summer!
Chris Carter BRITAIN is often beset by extreme weather conditions which always seem to catch us unawares. Be it snow, torrential rain, gales or this week s heatwave, we can t cope and the country gives a collective grunt as it keels over. Some have taken the swelterin
BRITAIN is often beset by extreme weather conditions which always seem to catch us unawares.
Be it snow, torrential rain, gales or this week's heatwave, we can't cope and the country gives a collective grunt as it keels over.
Some have taken the sweltering weather in their stride as they flock to the park and blitz the ice cream parlours.
You may also want to watch:
But for others, like some of the borough's schoolchildren, it's too much and leads to cancelled sports days and absences.
All this from a country whose citizens have spent the best part of the past 40 years flocking to the boiling hot sun in Mediterranean climes!
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 3 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 4 Timeline: Who was Stephen Port and when were his murders uncovered?
- 5 Former council offices to be transformed into 'workspace and cultural hub'
- 6 Butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 7 Barking butcher 'thankful' for loyal customers through pandemic
- 8 Dagenham school receives Unicef UK award
- 9 Stephen Port victims' delayed inquest set to begin in Barking
- 10 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
The authorities didn't help keep us cool, booking a raft of roadworks throughout the borough to snarl up the traffic and drive motorists to distraction.
We crave a decent summer, but when it comes, bemoan the heat and yearn for a rainy day.
Some may not like to think of us as Europeans but we could take a leaf out of their books if hot summers are to be the norm in future.
Perhaps we could chill and relax work attire, and introduce long, leisurely lunches followed by siestas. Some hope!