Chill out - it's summer!
Chris Carter BRITAIN is often beset by extreme weather conditions which always seem to catch us unawares. Be it snow, torrential rain, gales or this week s heatwave, we can t cope and the country gives a collective grunt as it keels over. Some have taken the swelterin
BRITAIN is often beset by extreme weather conditions which always seem to catch us unawares.
Be it snow, torrential rain, gales or this week's heatwave, we can't cope and the country gives a collective grunt as it keels over.
Some have taken the sweltering weather in their stride as they flock to the park and blitz the ice cream parlours.
You may also want to watch:
But for others, like some of the borough's schoolchildren, it's too much and leads to cancelled sports days and absences.
All this from a country whose citizens have spent the best part of the past 40 years flocking to the boiling hot sun in Mediterranean climes!
- 1 Barking sex offender who pushed crotch into girl, 15, on Tube sentenced
- 2 Barking gurdwara 'thrills' after modern and traditional rebuild
- 3 Topping out milestone for Barking tower block development
- 4 Dog strips bark off trees in 'terrible act of vandalism' at park in Dagenham
- 5 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 6 Average house price in Barking and Dagenham falls from record high
- 7 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 8 Air ambulance scrambled after man 'taken ill' in Barking Park
- 9 'Always smiling' former mayoress turns 100
- 10 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
The authorities didn't help keep us cool, booking a raft of roadworks throughout the borough to snarl up the traffic and drive motorists to distraction.
We crave a decent summer, but when it comes, bemoan the heat and yearn for a rainy day.
Some may not like to think of us as Europeans but we could take a leaf out of their books if hot summers are to be the norm in future.
Perhaps we could chill and relax work attire, and introduce long, leisurely lunches followed by siestas. Some hope!