Conquest cruising up the pro ladder
AFTER winning his first two pro fights in the last six months, cruiserweight Tony Conquest is looking to win two more contests inside the next six weeks, WRITES LEN WHALEY. He starts this weekend when he appears on lady promoter Miranda Carter s latest Su
AFTER winning his first two pro fights in the last six months, cruiserweight Tony Conquest is looking to win two more contests inside the next six weeks, WRITES LEN WHALEY.
He starts this weekend when he appears on lady promoter Miranda Carter's latest Sunday afternoon show at York Hall.
If he comes through a winner again, he has already been booked for contest number four at the same venue on April 24 when new promoter Steve Goodwin stages a bill at the Bethnal Green venue.
The boxer, who won a London ABA title last year, has chalked up victories in his first two pro contests - both at York Hall - where he outpointed Bobby Scott on his pro debut last September and stopped Nick Okoth inside a round during December.
You may also want to watch:
Conquest who trains at Canning Town's Ultrachem TKO Gymnasium, will be tested in his third pro appearance by Yorkshire rival John Anthony.
His Doncaster opponent comes with a respectable record against some top-name rivals, and has taken on light-heavyweight, cruiserweight and even heavyweight opponents to gain contests during his five-year pro campaign.
- 1 16-year-old boy stabbed in Dagenham
- 2 Arrest after girl, 14, found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Company fined £3k after supermarket in Dagenham sold booze to minor
- 4 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 5 Primary pupils share Black History Month learning with mayor
- 6 Government 'never gave support' for Beam Park station, minister says
- 7 Barking and Dagenham to develop planning app in new digital tools pilot
- 8 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Urgent call for volunteer stewards at booster jab sites
Anthony is in winning form - he conceded nearly 40lbs to heavyweight Howard Daley, but won on a sixth round TKO in their contest at the Doncaster Dome recently.
Also in action on the York Hall bill is his TKO Gym stablemate, light-welterweight John 'Wayne' Hibbert. Like Conquest, he is managed by Richard Clark and trained by former WBU light-welterweight champion Jason Rowland .
Unbeaten in his four pro fights, Hibbert faces 27-year-old Bradford rival Terry Fletcher, who won his first three pro fights in style before losing the points decision against Martin Welsh at the Brentwood Centre in January.
Other bouts on the Sunday bill include: Kreshnik Qato v Alex Spitko, Scott Douglas v Navid Iran, Ryan Toms v John Paul Temple, Laura Saperstein v Lana Cooper, Martin Welsh v Rick Boulter, Leon Williams v Tyrone Wright and Mike Coyle v Steffan Hughes.
For York Hall show tickets contact Left Jab Promotions box office on telephone number 07825 795616.