Council deal feather in Lib Dem cap
THE deal struck with Conservative leader Keith Prince on Thursday is a real feather in the cap for the borough s Lib Dem group. The impasse caused by the resignation of two Tories the previous week looked ominous for the Tories – until Hugh Cleaver steppe
THE deal struck with Conservative leader Keith Prince on Thursday is a real feather in the cap for the borough's Lib Dem group.
The impasse caused by the resignation of two Tories the previous week looked ominous for the Tories - until Hugh Cleaver stepped into the breach.
The move appears to have wrong-footed the Labour group who took umbrage at some underhand tactics by the Tories.
Lib Dem leader Cllr Cleaver doesn't appear to have been put off and has secured some important conditions to the deal.
You may also want to watch:
Residents will be pleased he has a commitment on the schools places crisis and the leisure shortfall.
They may not be too bothered about the clause ensuring spending on publicity and communications is prudent and cost effective.
- 1 Barking gurdwara 'thrills' after modern and traditional rebuild
- 2 Topping out milestone for Barking tower block development
- 3 Barking sex offender who pushed crotch into girl, 15, on Tube sentenced
- 4 Budding entrepreneur from Dagenham wins business pitch competition
- 5 Council warns residents after reports of rogue traders in Dagenham
- 6 Fairlop woman ordered to pay £1k over Dagenham cigarette littering
- 7 Barking MP joins schoolchildren for managing money lesson
- 8 Steve Allen: 'Oxford students should vote on Magdalen pronunciation instead'
- 9 Dagenham set to announce retained list with three already departing
- 10 Barking sign former Leyton Orient duo Elliott Omozusi and Charlie MacDonald
But that is important. Many have questioned the increase in staffing in the communications department and what value it brings for residents.
If the Lib Dem "coup" brings a more careful use of taxpayers' money, most would welcome it. We shall see!