Council leader may be Mayor
RUMOURS have been circulating that leader of the council Charles Fairbrass is to don the golden chain of office for his final year as a councillor. The POST has heard that Cllr Fairbrass MBE may be made Mayor of Barking and Dagenham at the Mayor- Making c
RUMOURS have been circulating that leader of the council Charles Fairbrass is to don the golden chain of office for his final year as a councillor.
The POST has heard that Cllr Fairbrass MBE may be made Mayor of Barking and Dagenham at the Mayor- Making ceremony in May.
When asked if the rumours were true Cllr Fairbrass replied with a smile: "It's certainly a possibility."
If he were to take office it would be his second time as Mayor of the borough, he accepted the role once before in 1984 - 1985.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Fairbrass, who was awarded the MBE in June 2008 in the Queen's birthday honours list, is to step down as a councillor after 38 years of loyal service.
He will not stand in the 2010 elections.
- 1 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 2 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 3 Father's Day: Fond memories of Dagenham 'gent' with 'a heart of gold'
- 4 Ambulance stations to close and be replaced by single centre, LAS reveals
- 5 Man wanted in criminal damage investigation
- 6 Woman organises do after Covid-19 restrictions force school in Dagenham to cancel prom
- 7 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 8 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 9 Barking gurdwara 'thrills' after modern and traditional rebuild
- 10 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
Since 1971 Cllr Fairbrass has represented the Labour party and the community in Heath Ward, Dagenham.
In 1998 he was elected council leader, a position he has held for over a decade now.
Cllr Fairbrass also served the community as deputy leader for eight years and was chairman of the Dagenham Constituency Party and several council committees.
He was given Freedom of the Borough, the highest honour the council can bestow, in 1992.