Court: Restraining order for man who throttled ex
PUBLISHED: 14:35 12 February 2015 | UPDATED: 11:50 17 February 2015
A man who grabbed his ex-girlfriend by the throat and repeatedly flung her onto a bed has walked free from court – but been banned from contacting her.
David Stuart, 25, of Stevens Road, Dagenham, pleaded guilty to the assault at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court today.
His ex, Emma Murphy, had been out with her friends before Stuart came over, prosecutor Paul Nagle told the court.
He said the pair had previously been together for six months but had been separated a week when he came to her address in Baywood Square, Hainault, on January 25.
“She told him she knew he had been out drinking and the conversation escalated from there,” said Mr Nagle.
“It turned into an argument and he grabbed her and threw her down on the bed more than 10 times.
“On one occasion he grabbed her around the throat and squeezed her. She was afraid and didn’t know what he was going to do next. He was holding her hair and banging her head on the bed. She was crying and asking him to stop.”
The court heard how blue lights appeared outside and the police came and arrested Stuart.
Ms Murphy’s neck was injured but fortunately none were lasting.
Representing Stuart, Mr Khan said the defendant accepted what he had done was wrong.
He added: “As far as injuries are concerned, thankfully they were very minor given the circumstances.”
The chairman of the bench released Stuart on conditional bail, ordering him not to contact Ms Murphy or go to her home.
The bench also asked for a pre-sentence report to be prepared and told Stuart his sentence, along with any compensation and restraining orders, would be dealt with on March 5.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.