Coyle springs to second gold
NEWHAM BC S John Coyle claimed a second international gold medal in a Great Britain competition for boxers born in 1993, with a sparkling performance in Edinburgh at the weekend. The double gold medal success tops the outstanding achievement for the boxer
NEWHAM BC'S John Coyle claimed a second international gold medal in a Great Britain competition for boxers born in 1993, with a sparkling performance in Edinburgh at the weekend.
The double gold medal success tops the outstanding achievement for the boxer who has won 19 of his 20 bouts for Newham since joining from South London's Fisher BC.
The Edinburgh triumph follows his outstanding success in the Golden Gloves competition and on the junior ABA title trail.
He claimed the 66kg title with a final victory over Fife boxer, Mark Docherty, in front of an enthusiastic band of Scottish supporters.
The Scot had been hailed as a bright gold medal hope after turning back the challenge of Welsh prospect Cameron Halfpenny in their semi-final showdown.
However, he had his problems against the Newham club boxer who landed accurate shots to move into an early lead.
- 1 Thousands set to descend on Dagenham for music fest as licence approved
- 2 NHS trust celebrates success in cutting long-term waiting list to almost zero following administrative error
- 3 Council clears illegal encampment under Ripple Road flyover
- 4 Wanted: Man sought after aggravated burglaries, failing to appear in court
- 5 Barking and Dagenham gets lowly ranking for 'healthy streets'
- 6 Serving Met officer suspended from duty after stalking charge
- 7 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 8 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 9 Jailed: Burglar who stole equipment worth more than £3k from car repair centre
- 10 Inquest told Zara Aleena died from head and neck injuries
Docherty, roared on by the local fans, tried to turn the contest his way, but Coyle continued to dominate and was good value for the verdict - and the title at the final bell.