Coyle springs to second gold
NEWHAM BC S John Coyle claimed a second international gold medal in a Great Britain competition for boxers born in 1993, with a sparkling performance in Edinburgh at the weekend. The double gold medal success tops the outstanding achievement for the boxer
NEWHAM BC'S John Coyle claimed a second international gold medal in a Great Britain competition for boxers born in 1993, with a sparkling performance in Edinburgh at the weekend.
The double gold medal success tops the outstanding achievement for the boxer who has won 19 of his 20 bouts for Newham since joining from South London's Fisher BC.
The Edinburgh triumph follows his outstanding success in the Golden Gloves competition and on the junior ABA title trail.
He claimed the 66kg title with a final victory over Fife boxer, Mark Docherty, in front of an enthusiastic band of Scottish supporters.
You may also want to watch:
The Scot had been hailed as a bright gold medal hope after turning back the challenge of Welsh prospect Cameron Halfpenny in their semi-final showdown.
However, he had his problems against the Newham club boxer who landed accurate shots to move into an early lead.
- 1 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 2 Hospital visitors urged to take Covid lateral flow tests
- 3 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 4 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 5 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 6 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 7 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 8 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 9 'Blows on the hand with a strap': The story of Barking's women jute weavers
- 10 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
Docherty, roared on by the local fans, tried to turn the contest his way, but Coyle continued to dominate and was good value for the verdict - and the title at the final bell.