Crane hauled out by judges
ILFORD AC walker Stephen Crane missed out on top spot in the opening race of the 2010 walking calendar when he was disqualified by judges. Crane thought he had beaten pre-race favourite Nick Silvester over five twisting circuits at the Lee Valley Stadium
ILFORD AC walker Stephen Crane missed out on top spot in the opening race of the 2010 walking calendar when he was disqualified by judges.
Crane thought he had beaten pre-race favourite Nick Silvester over five twisting circuits at the Lee Valley Stadium on Saturday, but the Aldershot competitor was awarded the win as Crane was expunged from the result.
He had fallen foul of the judges in the closing stages leaving Silvester to claim victory in 39.23.
Also in the shake-up throughout was Phil Barnard who emulated his second place on the same course, but over seven miles, just two months ago. At the weekend he recorded a time of 39.57.
Enfield League regular Pete Ryan held his pace well to claim fourth in 42.17 with Francisco Reis fifth in 42.38.
Reis recently made his comeback and showed his confidence by settling in with the leading bunch early on.
- 1 Man in 50s in hospital after Dagenham stabbing
- 2 Barking and Dagenham A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 3 Murder charge after man, 60, found fatally injured in Dagenham
- 4 Local 18-year-old filmmaker gears up for ‘ambitious’ first feature-length film
- 5 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 6 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 7 Bleed kit in memory of doorman Ricky Hayden installed outside nightclub
- 8 Gun shots fired in Dagenham
- 9 Summer of Festivals Weekender draws thousands to Parsloes Park
- 10 Illegal Dagenham puppy farm owners sentenced
Despite suffering a painful hamstring, Steve Uttley made it a great Ilford day by taking sixth spot in 43.29 and stalwart Dave Kates occupied 13th position with a sound 46.14.
Further down the order Dave Sharpe was 20th in 48.40, while sprightly veterans Ollie Browne and Alan O'Rawe both passed the line in 55.04 with the former just getting the verdict on his dip-finish to fill 37th and 38th places respectively.
Ilford won the team race at a canter. On the undercard Helen Croft won the youth's two miles with a creditable personal best time of 25.49.
On Saturday Ilford's Walking Squad contest the Southern Area 10 Kilometres Championship at Selsdon.