Nando’s stabber from Barking faces years in jail
PUBLISHED: 11:41 30 October 2014 | UPDATED: 15:42 30 October 2014
A man who repeatedly stabbed a 19-year-old in a packed shopping centre restaurant has been cleared of attempted murder, but still faces years in jail.
Pedrito Domingos, 20, of Cow Bridge Lane, Barking, admitted the frenzied attack on Joshua Acheampong in Nando’s at The Brewery in Romford on the afternoon of May 9, but said he did not want to kill him.
Giving evidence at Snaresbrook Crown Court this week, he said Mr Acheampong had stabbed him seven times two years ago and he wanted to “do him the harm that he had done me, no more” after seeing him by coincidence.
CCTV footage showed that at about 4.45pm, Domingos ran into Nando’s, pulled a large kitchen knife from his trouser waistline and held it over his head while charging at Mr Acheampong, who told the court he had never seen his attacker before.
A brave Nando’s worker came between the pair after she heard screams and plates smashing but Domingos reached around her to continue the assault.
Domingos then fled the restaurant and was chased by Mr Acheampong, who collapsed in the shopping centre before being helped by two women.
Police arrested Domingos hiding by bins nearby. The receipt for the knife used in the attack, purchased the previous day from Wilko, was found in his car. He was charged with attempted murder, wounding with intent to cause GBH, possession of cocaine and possession of cocaine with intent to supply.
Miss Lauren Soertsz, defending, told the court on Wednesday that Domingos had felt “anxious, anger and a desire to get even” on the day.
She added: “Getting even by its very definition means you seek to put the scales even. Pedrito Domingos was clear in his evidence his aim was to make him suffer to the same extent as he had suffered some two years before.”
Domingos said he carried a knife when he went to a place he felt “uncomfortable” after being attacked himself.
A jury of five women and seven men cleared him of attempted murder after he had pleaded guilty to wounding with intent last month.
He also pleaded guilty to a possession of 14 wraps of cocaine, but denied intent to supply. That charge has been left to lie on file.
He is due to be sentenced for wounding with intent on December 5.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.