1.7 police station visit per hour in Barking and Dagenham, poll shows
- Credit: Archant
Fewer than two people visit London police stations every hour, according to a poll which contradicts the view that closure plans could fuel crime in the capital.
A study by the Reform think-tank found that 1.9 members of the public used their police station on average in London and just 1.71 visitor went to the three stations in Barking and Dagenham each hour in 2010.
The think-tank maintains its survey indicates that interactions between the police and the public may be increasingly taking place within neighbourhoods and through new forms of communication, rather than at brick and mortar police buildings.
Reform published its findings today after the Met unveiled plans to close all of the three police stations in Barking and Dagenham as part of a £500m cost-cutting drive.
The police buildings in Dagenham, Marks Gate and Barking would be replaced by a single 24-hour front counter at Barking Learning Centre on the Town Square, with police working out of an £18million out-of-town base at Fresh Wharf in Highbridge Road, Barking.
You may also want to watch:
Post readers and politicians including London Assembly member John Biggs and Dagenham and Rainham MP Jon Cruddas have condemned the proposals.
But Reform director Andrew Haldenby said: “This evidence suggests that the Metropolitan Police is absolutely right to question the fabric of existing police stations in order to deliver services that the public want.”
- 1 Woman brightens up Barking and Dagenham with colourful crochet creations
- 2 'Strong, united community' hailed as plans for hotel in Barking withdrawn
- 3 Appeal for help as girl, 17, reported missing from Dagenham
- 4 Bobby Moore's daughter visits Upney buildings to be named after footballers
- 5 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 6 Walk-in Covid-19 jab events for all adults to be held in Barking
- 7 Exhibition launches to celebrate 100 years of Becontree Estate
- 8 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 9 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Entries open for Barking and Dagenham talent contest