Anti-social behaviour leaves Dagenham mum-of-two living in terror
- Credit: Archant
A mother-of-two who lives in a block of flats which adjoins the block where a grenade recently exploded has accused the police and council of failing to protect her family.
Paint has been thrown on the landing, stairs and up a resident’s door in Steadman House, Uvedale Road, Dagenham. Groups of young people have been congregating in the block as the main door has been left unlocked while the council installs a new entry system.
Maria Dean, 38, says she was told to alert police of any criminal damage due to the recent explosion, but has received no help to put her mind at ease, despite repeated calls.
“The police say they are concerned but they are not doing anything about it,” she said. “We keep getting people coming in smoking drugs, lighting fires and you would think because of the explosion they would make us a priority, but they haven’t.”
She says she called the police and they arranged to visit earlier this month, but failed to do so. She rearranged, but again there was a no-show and she claims the council has been slow to react.
You may also want to watch:
“They still haven’t bothered to do it,” Maria, who lives with her sons, four and 11, said. “Now every night every little noise makes us really scared. As I haven’t got a partner, it is just me and my kids.”
A spokesman from Barking and Dagenham Council said security work at the block will be completed tomorrow (Thursday) by contractors OpenView Security Solutions.
- 1 Elderly woman dies after van collision in Dagenham
- 2 More than 150 attend official opening of 'fabulous' pocket park in Barking
- 3 New developments approved in Barking and Dagenham so far this year
- 4 Barking father's car stolen from driveway
- 5 Dagenham mum vows more acts of crochet kindness despite missing postbox toppers
- 6 Things to do in east London this weekend (August 7-8)
- 7 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 8 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 9 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 10 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
Chief Inspector Richard Goodwin said: “Officers are now working with a number of local residents and borough partners concerning anti social behaviour in the block to formulate a long term solution to this issue.”