Barking and Dagenham robbery gang jailed for 39 years
A gang of robbers were jailed for almost 40 years after a series of armed raids at corner shops in Barking and Dagenham.
The five men targeted 12 newsagents and off-licences in a five-month spree which netted them thousands of pounds in cash.
The masked men armed with hammers and firearms raided a Barking newsagent twice in three days, leaving shop owner Pradeep Chauhan and his wife Reena terrified.
In the second attack, the gang attacked Reena with a crowbar as they went through the safe containing thousands of pounds.
On Friday, the five men were jailed at the Old Bailey for a total of 39 years.
You may also want to watch:
Joseph Adams, 22, of Halbutt Street, Dagenham, was jailed for three years and four months.
Stephen Nelson, 26, of no fixed address, got nine years and four months.
- 1 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 2 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 3 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 4 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 5 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 6 Covid stats show cases rising across east London boroughs
- 7 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 8 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 9 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 10 Manager celebrates 25 years working for supermarket
Robert Russell, 21, of Leyburn Crescent, Harold Hill, received a sentence of eight years and four months and Daniel Marston, 29, of Waterloo Road, Romford, got four years.
They all pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit robbery.
Wayne Lawrence, 29, of Meadowcourt, Wigston, Leicestershire, was given 14 years.
He was found guilty on October 30 of conspiracy to commit robbery, robbery, and conspiracy to possess a firearm or imitation firearm.
Flying Squad Det Ch Insp Ian Corner said: “The conviction of this organised crime group has ensured the removal of violent criminals likely to have continued offending and causing misery among the business community.”
The gang raided News and Chews in Chelmer Crescent, Barking, on January 7 and 10 and the Fenbrook newsagent in Wood Lane, Dagenham, on February 19.
They also targeted Shop and Save in Oxlow Lane, Dagenham, on November 28 and Costcutter in Broad Street, Dagenham, on November 29, as well as premises in Redbridge, Havering, Waltham Forest and Newham.