Barking and Dagenham robbery gang jailed for 39 years
A gang of robbers were jailed for almost 40 years after a series of armed raids at corner shops in Barking and Dagenham.
The five men targeted 12 newsagents and off-licences in a five-month spree which netted them thousands of pounds in cash.
The masked men armed with hammers and firearms raided a Barking newsagent twice in three days, leaving shop owner Pradeep Chauhan and his wife Reena terrified.
In the second attack, the gang attacked Reena with a crowbar as they went through the safe containing thousands of pounds.
On Friday, the five men were jailed at the Old Bailey for a total of 39 years.
You may also want to watch:
Joseph Adams, 22, of Halbutt Street, Dagenham, was jailed for three years and four months.
Stephen Nelson, 26, of no fixed address, got nine years and four months.
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 5 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 8 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 9 Stephen Port inquests: Senior cop wishes he 'pushed further' for murder investigation
- 10 Paralympic gold medallist inspires Dagenham judo pupils
Robert Russell, 21, of Leyburn Crescent, Harold Hill, received a sentence of eight years and four months and Daniel Marston, 29, of Waterloo Road, Romford, got four years.
They all pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit robbery.
Wayne Lawrence, 29, of Meadowcourt, Wigston, Leicestershire, was given 14 years.
He was found guilty on October 30 of conspiracy to commit robbery, robbery, and conspiracy to possess a firearm or imitation firearm.
Flying Squad Det Ch Insp Ian Corner said: “The conviction of this organised crime group has ensured the removal of violent criminals likely to have continued offending and causing misery among the business community.”
The gang raided News and Chews in Chelmer Crescent, Barking, on January 7 and 10 and the Fenbrook newsagent in Wood Lane, Dagenham, on February 19.
They also targeted Shop and Save in Oxlow Lane, Dagenham, on November 28 and Costcutter in Broad Street, Dagenham, on November 29, as well as premises in Redbridge, Havering, Waltham Forest and Newham.