Barking armed robberies: News and Chews Newsagents CCTV shows crowbar attack terror
A shopkeeper has spoken of his terrifying ordeal after robbers armed with hammers struck twice in just three days and made away with thousands of pounds.
Detectives are now appealing for witnesses and information after the incidents on January 7 and January 10 at News and Chews Newsagents in Chelmer Crescent, Barking.
During the second robbery shop owner Pradeep Chauhan and his wife Reena were assaulted while the criminals ransacked the safe.
Mr Chauhan said he had just served a customer who was on his way out of the shop on January 7 when four men wearing balaclavas rushed in with hammers.
The robbers escaped with more than �3,000 and fled the scene in a blue Peugeot 406 coupe.
You may also want to watch:
The second attack happened just three days later at 7.15am, when three men wearing crash helmets entered the store five minutes after the shop opened.
All three suspects left the scene in a blue Peugeot 406 coupe with �2,000 from the shop’s safe.
- 1 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 2 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 3 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 4 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 5 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 8 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 9 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 10 Clean up continues after flooding across Barking and Dagenham
Police believe the blue Peugeot to have been stolen in December 2011. It was displaying false number plates when used by the robbers - Y834 LDT.
Anyone who remembers seeing the blue Peugeot, or who witnessed the robberies, should contact Detective Constable Nathan Lee of Barking and Dagenham CID on 020 3276 1034 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.
For in-depth coverage of the incident, read Wednesday’s edition of the Post.