Barking armed robberies: News and Chews Newsagents CCTV shows crowbar attack terror
A shopkeeper has spoken of his terrifying ordeal after robbers armed with hammers struck twice in just three days and made away with thousands of pounds.
Detectives are now appealing for witnesses and information after the incidents on January 7 and January 10 at News and Chews Newsagents in Chelmer Crescent, Barking.
During the second robbery shop owner Pradeep Chauhan and his wife Reena were assaulted while the criminals ransacked the safe.
Mr Chauhan said he had just served a customer who was on his way out of the shop on January 7 when four men wearing balaclavas rushed in with hammers.
The robbers escaped with more than �3,000 and fled the scene in a blue Peugeot 406 coupe.
The second attack happened just three days later at 7.15am, when three men wearing crash helmets entered the store five minutes after the shop opened.
All three suspects left the scene in a blue Peugeot 406 coupe with �2,000 from the shop’s safe.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
- 2 Council leader on the borough's future, CPZs and receiving death threats
- 3 Dagenham cat with misshapen eye struggles to find home
- 4 Baby boy died from 'whiplash' injuries caused by shaking, trial hears
- 5 Boy, 5, dies after 'unexplained' incident off Heathway
- 6 Dagenham woman to face trial on numerous robbery charges
- 7 'Staffing crisis' means children's hospice cannot offer end of life care
- 8 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 9 Man pleads not guilty to unlicensed street trading in Dagenham
- 10 Cycling festival coming to Barking
Police believe the blue Peugeot to have been stolen in December 2011. It was displaying false number plates when used by the robbers - Y834 LDT.
Anyone who remembers seeing the blue Peugeot, or who witnessed the robberies, should contact Detective Constable Nathan Lee of Barking and Dagenham CID on 020 3276 1034 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.
For in-depth coverage of the incident, read Wednesday’s edition of the Post.