Barking Court to close in �58million cost-cutting drive
THE Government confirmed today Barking Magistrates’ Court would close in a move widely seen as eroding local justice.
The Grade II-listed Victorian building is to shut its doors under a �58million efficiency programme that will see 142 courts close in England and Wales.
Barking MP Margaret Hodge said the plan, which would force defendants to go to Ilford or Romford, was “ludicrous” and warned that defendants “just won’t turn up”.
Former magistrate chairman Derek Johnson also attacked the plans, saying the courthouse in East Street was one of the busiest in London.
The Government maintained it was “under pressure” to cut costs when it unveiled the proposed closures in June but stressed the justice system was shifting towards community penalties and is confident it can deliver hi-tech justice through the web, telephone and video links.
You may also want to watch:
Ministers said magistrates could be deployed to more than one court, indicating the 90 or so Barking JPs may carry on with their duties.
- 1 Elderly woman dies after van collision in Dagenham
- 2 More than 150 attend official opening of 'fabulous' pocket park in Barking
- 3 New developments approved in Barking and Dagenham so far this year
- 4 Barking father's car stolen from driveway
- 5 Things to do in east London this weekend (August 7-8)
- 6 Dagenham mum vows more acts of crochet kindness despite missing postbox toppers
- 7 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 8 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 9 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 10 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham