Barking driver on trial accused of killing pedestrian in hit-and-run
- Credit: Google
A hit-and-run driver knocked down and killed a 70-year-old man then sped off in his rented BMW, a court has heard.
Mohamad Uddin, 28, of Wilmington Gardens, Barking, is on trial at the Old Bailey over the death of pedestrian Mauro Gutierrez.
Mr Gutierrez was crossing one-way Mansell Street between Aldgate and Tower Hill in the City of London when he was hit at about 10.30pm on April 25 last year.
The court heard how Uddin, who was speeding, drove off, leaving Mr Gutierrez mortally wounded in the street.
Prosecutor Christopher Amis told jurors: “On April 25 last year at about 10.25pm a 70-year-old man, Mauro Gutierrez, was crossing a road close to where he lived known as Mansell Street when he was hit by a BMW vehicle being driven over the speed limit by this defendant.
You may also want to watch:
“Very unfortunately Mr Gutierrez died from his injuries. The defendant failed to stop. Indeed, he accelerated away from the scene.”
Passers-by came to Mr Gutierrez’s aid but he died in the Royal London Hospital two hours later.
- 1 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 2 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 3 Call to change 'cash cow' yellow box junction in Marks Gate
- 4 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 5 Barking and Dagenham pubs and bars reopen for outdoor service
- 6 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 7 Jailed: ‘Extremely dangerous’ Dagenham man who plotted terrorist attack
- 8 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 9 Becontree Estate designed after Spanish Flu 'helped prevent Covid deaths'
- 10 Light festival sees cyclists brighten up Barking and Dagenham streets
The defendant had been driving a BMW car which he had rented only the day before, jurors were told.
Uddin denies causing death by careless driving. The trial continues.