Barking driver on trial accused of killing pedestrian in hit-and-run
- Credit: Google
A hit-and-run driver knocked down and killed a 70-year-old man then sped off in his rented BMW, a court has heard.
Mohamad Uddin, 28, of Wilmington Gardens, Barking, is on trial at the Old Bailey over the death of pedestrian Mauro Gutierrez.
Mr Gutierrez was crossing one-way Mansell Street between Aldgate and Tower Hill in the City of London when he was hit at about 10.30pm on April 25 last year.
The court heard how Uddin, who was speeding, drove off, leaving Mr Gutierrez mortally wounded in the street.
Prosecutor Christopher Amis told jurors: “On April 25 last year at about 10.25pm a 70-year-old man, Mauro Gutierrez, was crossing a road close to where he lived known as Mansell Street when he was hit by a BMW vehicle being driven over the speed limit by this defendant.
You may also want to watch:
“Very unfortunately Mr Gutierrez died from his injuries. The defendant failed to stop. Indeed, he accelerated away from the scene.”
Passers-by came to Mr Gutierrez’s aid but he died in the Royal London Hospital two hours later.
- 1 Elderly woman dies after van collision in Dagenham
- 2 More than 150 attend official opening of 'fabulous' pocket park in Barking
- 3 New developments approved in Barking and Dagenham so far this year
- 4 Barking father's car stolen from driveway
- 5 Things to do in east London this weekend (August 7-8)
- 6 Dagenham mum vows more acts of crochet kindness despite missing postbox toppers
- 7 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 8 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 9 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 10 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
The defendant had been driving a BMW car which he had rented only the day before, jurors were told.
Uddin denies causing death by careless driving. The trial continues.