Barking driver on trial accused of killing pedestrian in hit-and-run
- Credit: Google
A hit-and-run driver knocked down and killed a 70-year-old man then sped off in his rented BMW, a court has heard.
Mohamad Uddin, 28, of Wilmington Gardens, Barking, is on trial at the Old Bailey over the death of pedestrian Mauro Gutierrez.
Mr Gutierrez was crossing one-way Mansell Street between Aldgate and Tower Hill in the City of London when he was hit at about 10.30pm on April 25 last year.
The court heard how Uddin, who was speeding, drove off, leaving Mr Gutierrez mortally wounded in the street.
Prosecutor Christopher Amis told jurors: “On April 25 last year at about 10.25pm a 70-year-old man, Mauro Gutierrez, was crossing a road close to where he lived known as Mansell Street when he was hit by a BMW vehicle being driven over the speed limit by this defendant.
“Very unfortunately Mr Gutierrez died from his injuries. The defendant failed to stop. Indeed, he accelerated away from the scene.”
Passers-by came to Mr Gutierrez’s aid but he died in the Royal London Hospital two hours later.
- 1 Dagenham and West Ham accused in court after drugs raids
- 2 Savvy driver saves ducks who had strayed onto the A13
- 3 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 4 Dagenham cat with misshapen eye struggles to find home
- 5 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
- 6 Homes under the Planner: Applications submitted or approved recently
- 7 Cycling festival coming to Barking
- 8 Baby boy died from 'whiplash' injuries caused by shaking, trial hears
- 9 'Dickensian diseases’ to rise as a result of cost-of-living, warns Labour
- 10 Dagenham woman to face trial on numerous robbery charges
The defendant had been driving a BMW car which he had rented only the day before, jurors were told.
Uddin denies causing death by careless driving. The trial continues.