Barking man, 23, charged after acid attack in East Ham
- Credit: Google
A young man from Barking has been charged after an acid attack in East Ham left a man in hospital with life-changing injuries.
The victim suffered burns to his face, arms and torso when officers were called to Burges Road, near East Ham tube station, at 4pm on Monday, February 12.
London Ambulance Service rushed him a south London hospital, where he remains.
The victim, 24, was approached by four young men in a silver Lexus with the number plate Y56 PWJ, said a spokesman for Met Police.
The men, believed to be aged in their late teens or 20s, stopped the car and asked him where he was from before getting out and assaulting him with a brick.
You may also want to watch:
They then threw acid in his face and made off towards High Street North.
Officers arrested three men – aged 27, 23 and 26 – four days later.
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 3 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 4 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 5 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 6 Watchdog upholds 90pc of complaints against council, figures show
- 7 Dagenham author pens novel to mark centenary of Becontree Estate
- 8 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 9 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 10 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
The 23-year-old from Barking and the 27-year-old have since been charged with grievous bodily harm and throwing a corrosive fluid with intent.
Det Sgt John Macleod said the attack left the victim “with permanent reminders of the distress inflicted upon him”.
“We’re keen to speak to anyone who may have been in the surrounding area at the time of the attack, or may have seen a silver Lexus heading in the direction of High Street North,” he added.
“Although two men have now been charged, we’re still keen to hear from any witnesses and anyone who may have heard anything, since.
“We are also continuing our search for the silver Lexus that was used by the suspects.”
Police ask witnesses or anyone with information to call 101 quoting CAD 5017/12FEB18 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.