Barking man guilty of rape and kidnap
A Barking man has been convicted of raping four woman, the youngest being 15 years old.
Sunny Islam, 23, of Salisbury Avenue was found guilty of seven counts of rape, one of assault by penetration and another of kidnapping at Woolwich Court on Thursday.
The charges relate to four female victims, aged between 15 and 30 years at the time of the offences, between May and September last year.
It was the attack on a 15-year-old girl in Canning Town that sparked the police investigation.
She had been walking with her friend at around 3.25am when Islam grabbed her at knifepoint and drove her to a secluded road in Barking. He threatened her before raping her in his Renault Clio.
You may also want to watch:
She eventually managed to break free and immediately alerted police. DNA taken from her led police to identify a further victim from east London.
She was a sex worker who had been picked up by Islam. Once inside his car Islam repeatedly punched her before raping her. Although she didn’t initially report the offence she did actively assist the investigation once contacted by officers.
- 1 Barking butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 2 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
- 3 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 4 Restaurant ordered to pay £5k after 2019 fly-tipping offences
- 5 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 6 'The entire game will mourn him': Tributes to football great Jimmy Greaves
- 7 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 8 Parade through Barking celebrates borough's 'inspirational' youngsters
- 9 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 10 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
Officers searched files for similar incidents already being investigated in the surrounding area.
Islam got out of his car and grabbed the third victim in Forest Gate on July 14 2010, pulling her back into the vehicle.
He raped her before she managed to smash through a window of the car and escape.
Another sex worker from east London, had been approached by Islam.
He bound her hands together with plastic quick-cuffs and raped her. She was forced from his vehicle and immediately reported the attack to police.
Det ChInsp John Sandlin, of the Homicide and Serious Crime Command (HSCC) who investigated the offences, said: “Despite this result we believe there may be more victims who, for whatever reason, are yet to come forward and speak to police. Should any further information come to light it will be dealt with robustly. Please contact your local police where a specially trained officer will be assigned to you.”
Islam was remanded in custody and is due to be sentenced at Woolwich Crown Court on October 7.