Memorial held in Barking for Hasan Ozcan a year after fatal stabbing
- Credit: Archant
A memorial service has been held for the victim of a fatal stabbing a year after his death.
More than 80 people including the Turkish ambassador to the UK were at Barking Town Hall today for the service in memory of Hasan Ozcan who was stabbed to death aged 19 in Abbey Road on February 3 last year.
Umit Yalcin, Tukey’s ambassador thanked Barking and Dagenham Council for hosting the ceremony.
“It is a kind gesture to the Turkish community. We must continue to protect our young people’s lives and also protect their hopes for the future,” Mr Yalcin said.
A Turkish language school based at Gascoigne Primary School in Barking was opened in memory of Hasan last month.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Saima Ashraf, the council’s deputy leader, said: “Hasan’s death was a tragic loss. Our hearts are with his family and friends.
“From this heart-breaking event, Hasan’s family and the Turkish community have shown incredible determination to stopping knife crime. We share this determination with them.
- 1 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 2 Woman organises do after Covid-19 restrictions force school in Dagenham to cancel prom
- 3 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 4 Ambulance stations to close and be replaced by single centre, LAS reveals
- 5 Father's Day: Fond memories of Dagenham 'gent' with 'a heart of gold'
- 6 Man wanted in criminal damage investigation
- 7 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 8 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 9 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 10 Barking add forward Georgie Fairhead as assistant Adam Flemming departs
“We all wish for peace and harmony in our communities.”