Barking MP says residents have been left terrified
Barking MP Margaret Hodge has condemned the criminal damage and looting in Barking Town Centre last night which she says has left residents terrified.
Only the previous day Mrs Hodge had called for Mayor of London Boris Johnson to cut short his holiday in light of the riots in north London.
The violence spread closer to home last night with attacks on Vicarage Field Shopping Centre and JD Sports in Ripple Road.
The Westbury Arms pub on Ripple Road was set on fire and is now a smouldering ruin.
“I am absolutely appalled by what happened last night. Residents I have spoken to say they are terrified to go out on the street.
You may also want to watch:
“The police deserve credit for what they did last night.
“I understand that a number of people were arrested but the majority came from outside the area.”
- 1 RSPCA appeal over video of dog 'carried' by collar in Dagenham
- 2 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 3 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 4 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 5 Council denies Barking mum's claim that it took hours to respond to flood
- 6 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 7 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 8 Dagenham charity set up in memory of 'unique' man offers help to youngsters
- 9 Call to change 'cash cow' yellow box junction in Marks Gate
- 10 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer