Barking MP says residents have been left terrified
Barking MP Margaret Hodge has condemned the criminal damage and looting in Barking Town Centre last night which she says has left residents terrified.
Only the previous day Mrs Hodge had called for Mayor of London Boris Johnson to cut short his holiday in light of the riots in north London.
The violence spread closer to home last night with attacks on Vicarage Field Shopping Centre and JD Sports in Ripple Road.
The Westbury Arms pub on Ripple Road was set on fire and is now a smouldering ruin.
“I am absolutely appalled by what happened last night. Residents I have spoken to say they are terrified to go out on the street.
“The police deserve credit for what they did last night.
“I understand that a number of people were arrested but the majority came from outside the area.”
- 1 'Something is going on': Second dead rabbit found in a week
- 2 Car park murder: Witness describes moment John Avers was run over
- 3 Man hospitalised after being found in Mayesbrook Park
- 4 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 5 Barking and Dagenham set for 250 new electric vehicle charging points
- 6 Car park murder: 'Distressing' CCTV shows victim being run over four times
- 7 Car park murder: Victim's wife tells trial about the last text he sent her
- 8 Man run over four times embroiled in row over £40,000, murder trial told
- 9 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 10 Revealed: Cause of Dagenham house fire