Barking MP says residents have been left terrified
Barking MP Margaret Hodge has condemned the criminal damage and looting in Barking Town Centre last night which she says has left residents terrified.
Only the previous day Mrs Hodge had called for Mayor of London Boris Johnson to cut short his holiday in light of the riots in north London.
The violence spread closer to home last night with attacks on Vicarage Field Shopping Centre and JD Sports in Ripple Road.
The Westbury Arms pub on Ripple Road was set on fire and is now a smouldering ruin.
“I am absolutely appalled by what happened last night. Residents I have spoken to say they are terrified to go out on the street.
You may also want to watch:
“The police deserve credit for what they did last night.
“I understand that a number of people were arrested but the majority came from outside the area.”
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Dagenham mum vows more acts of crochet kindness despite missing postbox toppers
- 3 New developments approved in Barking and Dagenham so far this year
- 4 Barking father's car stolen from driveway
- 5 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 6 Watchdog upholds 90pc of complaints against council, figures show
- 7 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 8 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 9 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 10 Dagenham author pens novel to mark centenary of Becontree Estate