Barking mum who fed son bleach must go to mental hospital
A mother who killed her 12 year-old autistic son by making him drink bleach is to be assessed at a mental hospital for three months.
Satpal Kaur Singh, 44, forced Ajit Singh to swallow a cup of Domestos because she feared that social services would take him away.
She then tried to kill herself the same way before dialling 999 from the family home in Barking.
Police later found a note reading: “Please burn us together. If you people do not let us stay alive peacefully then maybe we can be together when we are dead.”
Singh pleaded guilty to manslaughter by reason of diminished responsibility last month.
You may also want to watch:
Two psychiatrists disagree over whether she should be treated in a hospital or sent to prison.
Today the Recorder of London Peter Beaumont QC made an interim hospital order for 12 weeks until February 28, 2011.
- 1 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 2 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 3 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 4 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Stephen Port inquests: Senior cop wishes he 'pushed further' for murder investigation
- 7 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 8 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 9 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years
- 10 What's on across East London this weekend?
Singh will be assessed by doctors at the John Howard Centre in Homerton, east London.
Further psychiatric reports will be considered by the court before sentencing.
One psychiatrist concluded she was suffering from post traumatic stress disorder which can be treated in hospital.
But the second, for the prosecution, found she had a paranoid personality disorder, which cannot be treated.