Barking mum who fed son bleach must go to mental hospital
A mother who killed her 12 year-old autistic son by making him drink bleach is to be assessed at a mental hospital for three months.
Satpal Kaur Singh, 44, forced Ajit Singh to swallow a cup of Domestos because she feared that social services would take him away.
She then tried to kill herself the same way before dialling 999 from the family home in Barking.
Police later found a note reading: “Please burn us together. If you people do not let us stay alive peacefully then maybe we can be together when we are dead.”
Singh pleaded guilty to manslaughter by reason of diminished responsibility last month.
You may also want to watch:
Two psychiatrists disagree over whether she should be treated in a hospital or sent to prison.
Today the Recorder of London Peter Beaumont QC made an interim hospital order for 12 weeks until February 28, 2011.
- 1 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 2 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 3 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 4 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 5 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 6 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 7 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 8 Covid stats show cases rising across east London boroughs
- 9 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 10 Manager celebrates 25 years working for supermarket
Singh will be assessed by doctors at the John Howard Centre in Homerton, east London.
Further psychiatric reports will be considered by the court before sentencing.
One psychiatrist concluded she was suffering from post traumatic stress disorder which can be treated in hospital.
But the second, for the prosecution, found she had a paranoid personality disorder, which cannot be treated.