Barking pair arrested for assaulting police and carrying knives
- Credit: Archant
Two men were arrested for assaulting police officers in Barking this afternoon, after fighting broke out between a group armed with knives.
Police were called to the junction of Dereham Road and Woodbridge Road at 3.25pm and tried to arrest members of the group, but two officers – one male and one female – were assaulted in the process.
They received minor injuries and did not require hospital treatment.
Two males were arrested for assault on police, affray and possession of an offensive weapon and remain in custody at an east London police station.
Enquiries are continuing.
Tony Richards, 79, of Wilmington Gardens, was prevented from driving down Woodbridge Road by the amount of police vehicles.
“There were police all over the place,” he said. “Someone told me that some youths had turned up with knives.
- 1 Ilford man has van crushed, given curfew for Barking and Dagenham fly-tips
- 2 Dagenham man jailed for 12 years for punching to death Marius Lakavicius
- 3 Dagenham man fined within hours of fly-tipping at bus stop
- 4 Barking BikeFest comes to town
- 5 West Ham's Kurt Zouma admits to kicking and slapping his cat
- 6 VOTE: Which east London fish and chip shop is your favourite?
- 7 5 of the best things to do with kids in east London
- 8 Company fined in court over builder's skips in Dagenham and Chadwell Heath
- 9 Elizabeth Line opens: Londoners enjoy first day of service
- 10 'Beautiful skin and incredible smile': What happened when the Queen visited a Dagenham school
“I could see the police officers were searching in rubbish skips and bins for something.
“I would have said there were between a dozen and 15 police vehicles out there.”
Did you see what happened? Email email@example.com or call 020 8477 3824.