Barking police station to shut by spring 2013
Barking police station is to close next year as part of a Met-wide cost-cutting drive, it has been confirmed.
The town centre police station, which opened in Ripple Road in 1910, is to be sold off together with eight others to save money to be reinvested into “operational policing” in the capital.
Police unveiled a new, �18million police station accommodating around 500 officers almost a mile from the town centre at Fresh Wharf at Muirhead Quay, Barking, last year.
But Barking and Dagenham police chief Andy Ewing pledged to keep the old station open until a new reporting centre was set up in the town centre.
He said: “Barking police station’s public access counter will not be closed until an alternative reporting/enquiry office has been established. I would like to reassure the community that they will not be without a police reporting counter at any stage of the property portfolio review.”
You may also want to watch:
Council leader Liam Smith pledged to work with police to ensure a constant police presence remained in the town centre.
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said the whole of their property estate was under review to make the best use of it and “identify savings that can be reinvested into operational policing”. The Barking station is likely to close before March 2013.
- 1 Hundreds of shops found not complying with Covid rules
- 2 Is the Becontree estate in Barking and Dagenham really a Covid hotspot?
- 3 Town hall backs Dagenham freeport bid
- 4 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 5 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 6 Man recalled to prison after persistent anti-social behaviour in Dagenham cul de sac
- 7 Town hall seeks powers to prevent 'unsightly' loft extensions
- 8 Organisers seek former Mayesbrook teachers to join school reunion
- 9 Dagenham rallies round to make memories for family of 'joyful, little' tot with cancer
- 10 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients