Barking prisoner attack puts four officers in hospital
- Credit: PA WIRE
Four police staff were taken to hospital following an assault by a violent prisoner.
Three police officers and one Designated Detention Officer were involved in the attack, which happened between 7.45am and 8am, at Fresh Water Custody Base in Barking.
The 45-year-old was being placed in a van to be taken to a court appearance when he is alleged to have struggled and fought with officers.
They were spat at and suffered superficial cuts, grazes and swellings.
The four officers had to attend a specialist unit at St Thomas’ Hospital in south London as the man stated he carried infectious diseases.
You may also want to watch:
They have returned to work on full duties but three require follow up hospital appointments.
The suspect was charged and remanded to appear at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court tomorrow.
- 1 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 2 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 3 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 4 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Stephen Port inquests: Senior cop wishes he 'pushed further' for murder investigation
- 7 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 8 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 9 What's on across East London this weekend?
- 10 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years