Barking prisoner attack puts four officers in hospital
- Credit: PA WIRE
Four police staff were taken to hospital following an assault by a violent prisoner.
Three police officers and one Designated Detention Officer were involved in the attack, which happened between 7.45am and 8am, at Fresh Water Custody Base in Barking.
The 45-year-old was being placed in a van to be taken to a court appearance when he is alleged to have struggled and fought with officers.
They were spat at and suffered superficial cuts, grazes and swellings.
The four officers had to attend a specialist unit at St Thomas’ Hospital in south London as the man stated he carried infectious diseases.
You may also want to watch:
They have returned to work on full duties but three require follow up hospital appointments.
The suspect was charged and remanded to appear at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court tomorrow.
- 1 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 2 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 3 Call to change 'cash cow' yellow box junction in Marks Gate
- 4 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 5 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 6 Barking and Dagenham pubs and bars reopen for outdoor service
- 7 Council denies Barking mum's claim that it took hours to respond to flood
- 8 RSPCA appeal after man allegedly carries dog by collar in Dagenham
- 9 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 10 Jailed: ‘Extremely dangerous’ Dagenham man who plotted terrorist attack