Barking prisoner attack puts four officers in hospital
- Credit: PA WIRE
Four police staff were taken to hospital following an assault by a violent prisoner.
Three police officers and one Designated Detention Officer were involved in the attack, which happened between 7.45am and 8am, at Fresh Water Custody Base in Barking.
The 45-year-old was being placed in a van to be taken to a court appearance when he is alleged to have struggled and fought with officers.
They were spat at and suffered superficial cuts, grazes and swellings.
The four officers had to attend a specialist unit at St Thomas’ Hospital in south London as the man stated he carried infectious diseases.
You may also want to watch:
They have returned to work on full duties but three require follow up hospital appointments.
The suspect was charged and remanded to appear at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court tomorrow.
- 1 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 2 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 3 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 4 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 5 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 6 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 7 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 8 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 9 Former child refugee who founded Barking women's service up for award
- 10 Parkrun returns to east London: Where can you join in?