Barking boy, 17, charged with Gillingham murder after arrest in France
- Credit: Archant
A teenage boy from Barking has been charged with the murder of a man in Gillingham.
The 17-year-old, who can't be named, was arrested by Kent Police in Coquelles, near the French port of Calais, in the early hours of Saturday, January 11. He is set to appear before Medway Magistrates' Court today (Monday, January 13).
A woman in her 40s was also detained on suspicion of assisting an offender and has since been released pending further enquiries.
A murder investigation was launched after a 35-year-old man was fatally stabbed in Fox Street, Gillingham, on the afternoon of Friday, December 20.
Detectives are still investigating the incident, which includes establishing the whereabouts of a large knife.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone living in Fox Street or the surrounding area who finds such a weapon is asked to report it by calling Kent Police 01634 792209 quoting reference 46/242350/19.
You can also call the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- 1 Arrest after girl, 14, found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 2 Company fined £3k after supermarket in Dagenham sold booze to minor
- 3 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 4 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 5 Government 'never gave support' for Beam Park station, minister says
- 6 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 7 Stephen Port inquests: Police chief denies 'systemic' errors
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years
- 10 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete