Barking thug tries to steal mobile from cabinet member for crime and justice
A teenage thug who tried to steal a mobile phone from the Barking and Dagenham cabinet member for crime and justice has been locked up for 10 months.
Benjamin Joseph, 19, attempted to rob Cllr Jeanne Alexander in Ripple Road, Barking, but was later caught by CCTV.
Cllr Alexander, who is the wife of Mayor Tony Ramsay, was not injured in the incident.
Joseph, of Bastable Avenue, Barking, denied attempted theft on October 17 last year.
He was arrested by police but jumped bail, was then re-arrested and given 10 months at Snaresbrook Crown Court on June 20.
You may also want to watch:
The jobless man has been sent to a Young Offenders’ Institution.
Cllr Alexander said: “You never really believe that it will happen to you. It was indeed a frightening experience, even though I did not lose any property.
- 1 Clean up continues after flooding across Barking and Dagenham
- 2 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 3 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 4 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 5 Dagenham set to sign youngster Aaron Blair as McQueen to go out on loan
- 6 Deadline looming to comment on proposed constituency changes
- 7 Arts centre in Barking selects artists for Black Art Matters project
- 8 Barking sign three and continue pre season preparations
- 9 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
“It is down to the borough’s CCTV and determination of our local police that this robber was brought to justice.
“I am glad to see that he has been given a custodial sentence and that he is paying for his crime.
“I encourage anyone who has been a victim of crime to come forward, report the incident to police and together we can make a difference and continue to have a borough where are streets are safe for us all to enjoy.”