Barking thug tries to steal mobile from cabinet member for crime and justice
A teenage thug who tried to steal a mobile phone from the Barking and Dagenham cabinet member for crime and justice has been locked up for 10 months.
Benjamin Joseph, 19, attempted to rob Cllr Jeanne Alexander in Ripple Road, Barking, but was later caught by CCTV.
Cllr Alexander, who is the wife of Mayor Tony Ramsay, was not injured in the incident.
Joseph, of Bastable Avenue, Barking, denied attempted theft on October 17 last year.
He was arrested by police but jumped bail, was then re-arrested and given 10 months at Snaresbrook Crown Court on June 20.
You may also want to watch:
The jobless man has been sent to a Young Offenders’ Institution.
Cllr Alexander said: “You never really believe that it will happen to you. It was indeed a frightening experience, even though I did not lose any property.
- 1 Barking mum: 'Wood falling from truck could have killed me or my kids'
- 2 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 3 Barking and Dagenham light festival ends with message of peace
- 4 Barking & Dagenham girls on cloud nine after big opening win
- 5 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 6 Survey asks women where they feel unsafe in Barking and Dagenham
- 7 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 8 Vaisakhi observed with ceremony at Barking Town Hall
- 9 Barking FC set for big week in the Cup
- 10 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
“It is down to the borough’s CCTV and determination of our local police that this robber was brought to justice.
“I am glad to see that he has been given a custodial sentence and that he is paying for his crime.
“I encourage anyone who has been a victim of crime to come forward, report the incident to police and together we can make a difference and continue to have a borough where are streets are safe for us all to enjoy.”