Barking thug tries to steal mobile from cabinet member for crime and justice
A teenage thug who tried to steal a mobile phone from the Barking and Dagenham cabinet member for crime and justice has been locked up for 10 months.
Benjamin Joseph, 19, attempted to rob Cllr Jeanne Alexander in Ripple Road, Barking, but was later caught by CCTV.
Cllr Alexander, who is the wife of Mayor Tony Ramsay, was not injured in the incident.
Joseph, of Bastable Avenue, Barking, denied attempted theft on October 17 last year.
He was arrested by police but jumped bail, was then re-arrested and given 10 months at Snaresbrook Crown Court on June 20.
The jobless man has been sent to a Young Offenders’ Institution.
Cllr Alexander said: “You never really believe that it will happen to you. It was indeed a frightening experience, even though I did not lose any property.
- 1 ‘He put his life into family’: Tributes paid to former builder who died of Covid
- 2 Barking was Britain's ninth most used station in 2020/21, figures show
- 3 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 4 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 5 'I am really humbled': New Bishop of Barking appointed
- 6 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
- 7 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 ‘For the love of animals’: Group which reunites lost pets with their owners fundraises for specialist equipment
- 10 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
“It is down to the borough’s CCTV and determination of our local police that this robber was brought to justice.
“I am glad to see that he has been given a custodial sentence and that he is paying for his crime.
“I encourage anyone who has been a victim of crime to come forward, report the incident to police and together we can make a difference and continue to have a borough where are streets are safe for us all to enjoy.”