Barking Town Hall ‘drug deal’ busted thanks to hero council worker
- Credit: LBBD
A council worker helped police stop a suspected drug deal outside Barking Town Hall.
The have-a-go hero, who wished not to be named, stepped in to help detain the suspect outside the building after spotting officers at about 4pm on Wednesday, June 20.
CCTV teams had noticed a “suspicious male” hovering outside the building before an exchange reportedly took place, according to Barking and Dagenham Council.
Members of the police estates team then swooped in to apprehend the buyer.
He was arrested for cannabis possession, handling stolen goods and obstructing a drugs search and fined £90.
You may also want to watch:
“Once again our CCTV cameras have been crucial in helping us to identify a criminal act taking place and helping us apprehend the culprit,” said Cllr Margaret Mullane, cabinet member for enforcement and community safety.
“I hope this will serve as a major warning that drugs on our streets will not be tolerated in the borough and our cameras will pick out anyone who is intent on breaking the law.”
- 1 Butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 2 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
- 3 Stephen Port victims' delayed inquest set to begin in Barking
- 4 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
- 5 Parade through Barking celebrates borough's 'inspirational' youngsters
- 6 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 7 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 8 Restaurant ordered to pay £5k after 2019 fly-tipping offences
- 9 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
- 10 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey