Beggars in Barking will be given £100 on-the-spot fines
- Credit: LBBD
People caught begging in Barking town centre can now be handed a £100 on-the-spot fine thanks to new powers passed by the council.
The order categorises begging alongside urinating and spitting as “anti-social behaviour,” with Cllr Laila Butt saying the council is looking to take on the “small minority who make people’s lives a misery.”
Public drinking, harassment and causing alarm or distress are also being cracked down on by the council.
The council consulted the public on the PSPO and a similar order is in place in Broad Street, Dagenham, although begging is not prohibited.
Councillor Laila Butt, cabinet member for enforcement and community safety, said: “We are committed to tackling all forms of anti-social behaviour across the borough. We want to make it clear to the small minority who make people’s lives a misery that we will not stand for it.”
You may also want to watch:
The council is also consulting on a PSPO for the area around Dagenham Heathway.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 2 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 3 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 'Woke rubbish': Losing candidate on stir over 'unspellable' names comment
- 6 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 7 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 8 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 9 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 10 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night