Blaze at Barking recycling plant sparks investigation
TONNES of recycled waste were damaged when a fire swept through a recycling plant in Barking.
Twenty firefighters from Barking and Plaistow stations spent nearly five hours tackling the blaze at Shanks Recycling plant in Jenkins Lane.
Site manager Iain Pirie said: “At around 2am in the morning our internal fire alarm went off and our automated fire system sprayed the area with foam and water.
“There is no damage to the facilities but 15 tonnes of waste was damaged because it was saturated with water and foam.”
The fire brigade was called at 2.52am and the incident was under control by 7.14am.
You may also want to watch:
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
- 1 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 2 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 3 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 4 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 Tossed cigarette costs Dagenham man more than £600
- 6 Man who controlled Ipswich drug line jailed for five years
- 7 Barking and Dagenham rallies to give friends a prom night to remember
- 8 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 9 Dagenham MP seeks views on CPZs after 'hundreds raise concerns'
- 10 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend