Bodies in Garden: ‘She was the evil one’, say neighbours of Dagenham murder couple
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Neighbours of a couple who were jailed for life for murdering their parents have said the pair were quiet and reclusive, but would behave strangely in public.
Susan and Christopher Edwards, who lived in Valence Wood Road in Dagenham, were found guilty this week of killing Susan’s parents, William and Patricia Wycherley, in May 1998, and burying the bodies in their garden, where they were discovered last October.
John Black, 74, a retired company director who lived opposite the couple, said Mr Edwards appeared submissive to the will of his wife Susan.
“He always walked two paces behind his wife,” Mr Black told the Post. “I used to say hello and good morning.
“He always whispered back to me ‘good morning’. She never ever spoke to us but he always said hello.”
Mr Black said he last saw the Edwards’s two years ago.
He said: “All of a sudden they disappeared. We didn’t know where they went.”
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
- 2 Council leader on the borough's future, CPZs and receiving death threats
- 3 Dagenham cat with misshapen eye struggles to find home
- 4 Baby boy died from 'whiplash' injuries caused by shaking, trial hears
- 5 Boy, 5, dies after 'unexplained' incident off Heathway
- 6 Dagenham woman to face trial on numerous robbery charges
- 7 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 8 'Staffing crisis' means children's hospice cannot offer end of life care
- 9 Man pleads not guilty to unlicensed street trading in Dagenham
- 10 Teenager charged with GBH after stabbing in Dagenham
Another neighbour said: “He looked like a school teacher. I think he was all right, but I think it was her who was the evil one.
“I’m so pleased they got found guilty.”
Former neighbour Brett Wilson said: “They didn’t mix. They didn’t talk or communicate with anyone. They didn’t even have a car. You just used to see them moving around behind the net curtains like shadows.”
Did you know the Edwards’s or the Wycherleys? Get in touch on 0208 447 3900 or email email@example.com.