Bodies in Garden: ‘She was the evil one’, say neighbours of Dagenham murder couple
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Neighbours of a couple who were jailed for life for murdering their parents have said the pair were quiet and reclusive, but would behave strangely in public.
Susan and Christopher Edwards, who lived in Valence Wood Road in Dagenham, were found guilty this week of killing Susan’s parents, William and Patricia Wycherley, in May 1998, and burying the bodies in their garden, where they were discovered last October.
John Black, 74, a retired company director who lived opposite the couple, said Mr Edwards appeared submissive to the will of his wife Susan.
“He always walked two paces behind his wife,” Mr Black told the Post. “I used to say hello and good morning.
“He always whispered back to me ‘good morning’. She never ever spoke to us but he always said hello.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Black said he last saw the Edwards’s two years ago.
He said: “All of a sudden they disappeared. We didn’t know where they went.”
- 1 Street food market coming to Barking as lockdown continues to ease
- 2 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 3 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 4 Barking and Dagenham pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 5 Second World War bomb pulled from River Thames in Barking
- 6 Council reveals new debt collection service to cut need for enforcement
- 7 Rainbow lights 'signal hope' as part of Barking and Dagenham festival
- 8 Jailed: Burglar who drove on wrong side of road trying to flee police
- 9 Barking MP receives 'disgusting' Holocaust email over Covid-19 vaccine passports
- 10 Pedestrian crossing improvements after campaign by Dagenham pupils
Another neighbour said: “He looked like a school teacher. I think he was all right, but I think it was her who was the evil one.
“I’m so pleased they got found guilty.”
Former neighbour Brett Wilson said: “They didn’t mix. They didn’t talk or communicate with anyone. They didn’t even have a car. You just used to see them moving around behind the net curtains like shadows.”
Did you know the Edwards’s or the Wycherleys? Get in touch on 0208 447 3900 or email email@example.com.